Two public events are scheduled for Monday, January 26 regarding the Ellettsville Municipal Water Utility's request for an increase in its rates and charges. Both events will be held at Edgewood Junior High School, 851 Edgewood Drive, Ellettsville, Indiana.
- At 5:30 p.m., the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to describe public field hearing procedures and to discuss the utility regulatory process.
- At 6:00 p.m., the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments regarding the water utility's rates. The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision in the case. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
Ellettsville's current municipal water rates were approved in 1998. According to its filing with the IURC, the utility is requesting additional revenues in the pending case due to infrastructure improvements (including water main upgrades and tank maintenance) and increased operating and maintenance costs.
If the town's current proposal were approved, the monthly residential water bill for a customer who lives within the town limits and uses 5,000 gallons would increase from $14.68 to $18.73. The monthly bill for a customer with the same usage who resides outside the town limits would rise from $19.06 to $24.31.
The OUCC - the state agency representing consumer interests in cases before the IURC - continues to review the town's proposal and has not yet taken a position on the request. Currently, the OUCC is scheduled to complete its technical and legal review in this case and file its report with the Commission on February 11.
Customers should note that only the town's water rates and charges are at issue in this case. Rates for municipal sewer and stormwater utility services are exempt from IURC jurisdiction under Indiana law.
Consumers who are unable to attend the January 26 events may submit written comments to the OUCC in advance. Comments should include the consumer's name, mailing address, and a reference to "IURC Cause No. 43582-U," and can be submitted by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
For additional information on this case, including a copy of the town's filing, visit the OUCC Website at www.in.gov/oucc/3458.htm. Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494.
(IURC Cause No. 43582-U)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents residential and business consumer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: