Two public events are scheduled for Wednesday, October 29, 2008 regarding the Fortville Municipal Water Utility's request for an increase in its rates and charges. Both events will take place at Mount Vernon Intermediate School, 8414 North 200 West, Fortville, Indiana:
- At 5:30 p.m., the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to discuss the regulatory process and describe public field hearing procedures.
- At 6:00 p.m., the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments regarding the water utility's rates. The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision in the case. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
According to the town's filing with the IURC, the requested additional revenues would cover the costs of infrastructure improvements along with increases in operating and maintenance expenses. The town's filing lists specific projects including a planned 500,000 gallon water tower, refurbishment of the utility's existing 300,000 gallon storage tank, water main extensions and replacements, new meters and fire hydrants, and refurbishment of well pumping equipment.
If approved, the utility's proposal would increase the monthly residential water bill for a customer who lives within the town limits and uses 5,000 gallons from $17.90 to $35.21. A customer with the same usage who resides outside the town limits would see his or her bill monthly increase from $26.82 to $52.76. Fortville's current municipal water rates were approved in 1998.
The OUCC - the state agency representing ratepayer interests in cases before the IURC - has not yet taken a position on the town's request but is currently scheduled to file its report in this case on November 19, 2008. In the meantime, the OUCC legal and technical staff assigned to the case continues to review the town's proposal.
Consumers who are unable to attend the October 29 events are encouraged to submit written comments regarding the rate case to the OUCC. Comments should include the consumer's name, mailing address, and a reference to "IURC Cause No. 43551-U," and can be submitted by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
For additional information on this case, including a copy of the town's filing, visit the OUCC Website at www.in.gov/oucc/3443.htm. Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494.
(IURC Cause No. 43551-U)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents residential and business consumer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: