Two public events are scheduled for Tuesday, May 20 regarding the Town of Knightstown's request for an increase in its municipal water rates. Both events will take place at the Knightstown High School Auditorium (8149 West US 40).
- At 5:30 p.m., the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to discuss the regulatory process and describe public field hearing procedures.
- At 6:00 p.m., the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments, which will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
Knightstown's pending proposal would increase the monthly residential water bill for a customer using 5,000 gallons from $20.47 to $31.13. The town states, in its filing before the IURC, that the increased revenues would cover increases in operating and maintenance costs (including new meters, pumping equipment and office equipment). Knightstown's current water rates were approved in 1991.
The OUCC - the state agency representing ratepayer interests in IURC proceedings - has not yet taken a position in this case. The OUCC is reviewing the utility's request and anticipates filing a report in this case later this month.
Consumers who are unable to attend the May 20 events are encouraged to submit written comments to the OUCC in advance. Comments should include the consumer's name, address, and a reference to IURC Cause No. 43440-U. Consumers can send comments to the OUCC by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
Additional information on this case, including a link to the town's formal request, is available on the OUCC Website at www.in.gov/oucc/3375.htm. Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494.
Additional information about the regulatory process and other utility consumer topics - including tips for saving money on water and energy bills - is available on the OUCC Website or by calling the agency toll-free.
(IURC Cause No. 43440-U)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents residential and business consumer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: