Two public events will take place on Monday, April 14 regarding the City of Anderson's request for an increase in its municipal electric utility's rates and charges. Both events will take place in the auditorium of the Anderson City Office Building, 120 E. 8th St., Anderson, Indiana.
- At 5:30 p.m., the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to discuss the regulatory process and describe public field hearing procedures.
- At 6:00 p.m., the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments regarding the city's electric rates. The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision in the rate case. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
Anderson Municipal Light & Power's (AML&P's) current base electric rates were approved in April 2003. The city's pending proposal would increase the base electric rate for a residential customer using 1,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) per month from $62.75 to $69.40. AML&P's base rate comprises the entire billing amount except for a quarterly billing adjustment - subject to regulatory review and approval - to recover wholesale power costs.
The city is also requesting IURC authorization to issue up to $5.89 million in long-term debt. In its testimony, AML&P states that it is requesting the rate and financing changes to cover the costs of infrastructure improvements including new meters and a new substation, along with increases in operating and maintenance costs.
The OUCC - the state agency representing ratepayer interests in IURC proceedings - has not yet taken a position in the pending rate case. The OUCC currently has until May 9 to complete its review and file testimony with the Commission.
Consumers who are unable to attend the April 14 events are encouraged to submit written comments regarding the rate case to the OUCC. Comments should include the consumer's name, address, and a reference to IURC Cause No. 43411. Consumers can send comments to the OUCC by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
For additional information on this case, including a link to the city's testimony, please visit the OUCC Website at http://www.in.gov/oucc/3312.htm. Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494.
Additional information about the regulatory process and other utility consumer topics - including tips for saving money on energy and water bills - is available on the OUCC Website or by calling the agency toll-free.
(IURC Cause No. 43411)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents residential and business consumer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: