UPDATE: An IURC order in this case was issued on July 26, 2006.
OUCC news release, issued Feb. 13, 2006:
Two public events will be held on Wednesday, February 22 regarding the state's annual natural gas cost adjustment (GCA) proceeding for Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO). Both events will be held at Goshen Middle School, 1216 S. Indiana St., Goshen, Indiana.
- From 5:30 p.m. until 6:00 p.m., local time, the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting and answer consumer questions regarding the case. In addition to answering consumer questions during the half-hour meeting, OUCC staff will discuss the regulatory process and describe public field hearing procedures.
- At 6:00 p.m., local time, - immediately following the OUCC information meeting - the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer testimony regarding NIPSCO's pending annual GCA proceeding. The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing, and testimony will be strictly limited to natural gas cost issues.
All regulated natural gas utilities in Indiana are allowed to recover wholesale gas commodity costs on a dollar-for-dollar basis subject to regular OUCC review and IURC approval. Under a 1999 IURC order, NIPSCO is allowed to seek recovery of commodity costs on a monthly basis and annual pipeline demand, storage and gas transmission costs on a yearly basis. This proceeding focuses on the annual review of NIPSCO's commodity costs incurred from August 2004 through July 2005, and NIPSCO's annual pipeline demand, storage and transmission costs for the twelve month period beginning November 1, 2005.
The OUCC - the statutory representative of consumer interests in all cases before the IURC - has filed testimony based on its review of NIPSCO's procurement for the time period at issue in this proceeding; according to the agency's testimony, the utility has properly documented its gas cost claims and has complied with its legal obligations.
This proceeding is limited strictly to natural gas cost matters. NIPSCO's base distribution rates for natural gas (which are frozen at least until 2010 under an approved settlement agreement in a separate proceeding) and electric rates are not under consideration in this case. Deposit, disconnection and reconnection issues are also beyond the scope of this case and will not be affected by the outcome.
Consumers unable to attend the information meeting and field hearing may submit written comments to the OUCC before February 22. Comments should include the consumer?s name, address and a reference to "IURC Cause No. 41338-GCA7," and can be submitted by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
100 N. Senate Ave., Room N501
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2215
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494. Additional information on the regulatory process and other utility topics - including an overview of natural gas prices and tips for reducing energy bills - is available on the OUCC Website or by calling the agency toll-free.
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents the interests of all utility consumers and the public in matters related to the provision of utility services. The agency is active in proceedings before regulatory and legal bodies, and committed to giving consumers a voice in the creation of utility service policy. Residential, commercial and industrial customers with questions or concerns regarding utility service can contact the OUCC toll-free at 1-888-441-2494 or online at www.IN.gov/OUCC.
(IURC Cause No. 41338-GCA7)
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: