UPDATE: The IURC issued a final order in this case on Jan. 16, 2008. A PDF copy of the 9-page order is available by clicking here.
Two public events will take place on Tuesday, October 16 regarding the Town of Ogden Dunes' request for an increase in its municipal water utility's rates and charges. Both events will take place at the Ogden Dunes Fire Department, 111 Hillcrest Road:
- At 5:30 p.m., local time, the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to discuss the regulatory process and describe public field hearing procedures.
- At 6:00 p.m., local time, the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments. The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision in this case. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
The town's proposal would increase the quarterly water bill for a residential customer using 15,000 gallons over a three-month period from $60.08 to $79.66 including the town's fire protection surcharge. Ogden Dunes' current base rates were approved in 1985 with a wholesale water tracker being implemented in 1987.
In its case filings, the town indicates it is seeking the increase to cover higher operating and maintenance costs, and to pay for infrastructure improvements including hydrant, meter and valve repairs and replacements, as well as booster station improvements.
The OUCC - the state agency representing consumer interests in IURC proceedings - has not yet taken a position in this case but has until November 8 to complete its review and file testimony with the Commission.
The utility's filings in this case are available for public review on the IURC Website (www.in.gov/iurc), by visiting http://www.in.gov/iurc/portal/Tab.aspx?tabid=28&dn=SEARCHDOCKETEDCASE and entering docket number 43295.
Consumers who are unable to attend the October 16 events are encouraged to submit written comments to the OUCC. Comments should include the consumer's name, address, and a reference to IURC Cause No. 43295. Consumers can send comments to the OUCC by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
The OUCC needs to receive all written comments in this case no later than Monday, November 5. Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494.
(IURC Cause No. 43295-U)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents residential and business consumer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: