Midwifery Licensing Instructions
Documents Required for Licensure
In addition to the application and fee, please submit the following documents:
- Completed Application
- Application Fee - $50 in the form of a check or money order to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
- Certified Professional Midwife credential - a notarized or certified copy of CPM credential certificate or card conferred by the North American Registry of Midwives
- Postsecondary Diploma - a notarized or certified copy of diploma from postsecondary educational institution
- Original Postsecondary Transcript - sent directly from the institution of higher learning where the applicant received a postsecondary degree, including the degree conferred and date conferred. Applicant must have either an associate's degree in nursing, midwifery (from MEAC approved program), or other similar science related degree; or, a bachelor's degree in any field. In lieu of this requirement and number 4 above, and prior to June 30, 2018, applicant may submit proof of enrollment directly from the institution of hearing learning.
- Official MEAC-approved Program Transcript - sent directly from a Midwifery Education Accreditation Council (MEAC) approved program showing completion of a MEAC approved midwifery educational curriculum. In lieu of this requirement, and prior to June 30, 2018, applicant may submit proof of 100 births where applicant was primary attendant (see Affidavit of Additional Births Form) and a letter of reference from a licensed physician with whom the applicant is collaborating.
- CPR card - copy of certification in adult CPR that is not expired
- American Academy of Pediatrics certificate of completion or card - showing completion of program in neonatal resuscitation (excluding endotrachael intubation and drug administration)
- Notarized Affidavit of Completion of Additional Births Form - submit as many affidavits as necessary to document completion of the following, which are in addition to any needed for CPM credentialing: (1) observation of 20 births; (2) attendance at 20 births conducted by a physician; (3) assistance with 20 births; (4) primary attendant at 20 births. All must have been in the United States and overseen by a NARM approved preceptor or physician. The document should be completed by the individual attesting to the additional births and notarized.
- Emergency Skills Training Course - certificate of completion of NARM approved emergency skills training course which is eligible for inclusion in the Midwifery Bridge Certification Program. The course(s) must include material on emergency life support procedures, identification of high risk births for mothers; and identification of potential complications during labor.
- Proof of Liability Insurance - must be a minimum of $100,000 per incident/$300,000 yearly aggregate.
- Collaborative Practice Agreement
- Verification of other state licenses - an applicant who currently holds, or has previously held, a license, certification, or registration issued by another state to practice any health profession must request verification of license status from the state that issued that license, certification, or registration. The verification must be sent directly to the board from the agency that issued the license, certification, or registration. Official electronic verification will also be accepted.
- Name Change Documentation (if applicable) - If your name has changed or differs on any documents submitted, please include an official name change document such as a marriage license or divorce decree.
- Criminal Background Check - An applicant will receive an email from their respective board with the official date the application was processed. Fingerprints must be submitted on or after the date of this email notice for the CBC to be considered valid and timely. CBCs conducted prior to the email notice date will not be considered. Please review our criminal background check webpage for more information.
If you have answered any of the questions on the application “yes” you must submit a notarized affidavit detailing the occurrence/situation, the outcome, date of occurrence, if it is a malpractice payment the amount paid in your behalf. If applicable please submit copies of all court documents and/or arrest records. Letters from attorneys or insurance companies are not accepted in lieu of your statement.