- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana Professional Licensing Agency

PLA > Professions > Indiana Real Estate Commission > How Do I... > Continuing Education (CE) Continuing Education (CE)

View CE Requirements

What are the CE requirements?

For each two year renewal cycle, sixteen (16) hours of continuing education is required.  Six (6) of these hours must be in the three mandatory subjects.  For more detailed information on continuing education requirements, click here.

What do I do if I did not get all my CE hours by my license expiration?

You have two options.  You can either make up the hours you are lacking and renew late, or you can renew to “Inactive” status and lose any continuing education hours taken prior to expiration.

I just received my license, Do I need CE in this license period?

If your license was issued in the second year of the two-year license period, you are not required to complete continuing education for that period.

Where should I take my continuing education courses?

The Commission cannot recommend a specific course provider. Please review the list of all approved courses and their providers that is made available on the Commission website for both salespersons and brokers (see below).

When is this continuing education course being offered?

Please contact a course provider directly with questions about course offerings, schedules, and costs. The Commission does not maintain any records of these details for licensees.

Mandatory Subjects

What are the mandatory subjects?

License and Escrow Law, Agency Law, Civil Rights Law, Listing Contracts and Purchase Agreements, Settlement Procedures and Antitrust, Environmental Issues, and Ethics and Standards.

Approved Providers

Where can I find an approved provider of continuing education?

The Commission posts approved continuing education providers for salespersons here, and for brokers here.

Courses taught by approved providers qualify for license renewal, as do those taught by an "approved organization." These include colleges, universities, state and federal agencies, and others. For more on what an approved organization is, please refer in the law compilation to I.C. 25-1-4-0.2.

After July 1, 2012, only courses that are approved through the Commission will qualify for license renewal. The exception for "approved organizations" will not apply after that date.

Reporting Continuing Education

How do I report my continuing education?

You will attest to your completion of continuing education on the renewal application.  Send proof of completion only if you are notified that you have been chosen for the random continuing education audit after renewals are collected.

Can I get an extension of time to get my CE to renew my license?

The Commission does not grant extensions.  You may go into the next license period to make up any deficiencies, but your license will not be placed in “Active” status until the deficiency is remedied and all applicable fees have been paid.

Can I get my CE waived?

There are two conditions under which a waiver of continuing education requirements could be granted.  One is service in the United States Armed Forces for one (1) year or more of the two (2) year license period.  The other is an incapacitating illness preventing either part-time or full-time employment for at least twelve (12) months of the two (2) year license period.

How do I apply for a waiver of continuing education?

An application for a waiver can be found here