Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM)
IDEM implements federal and state regulations to protect human health and the environment while allowing the environmentally sound operations of industrial, agricultural, commercial and government activities vital to a prosperous economy. IDEM helps Indiana’s energy industry to comply with air, land, and water regulations:
- DNR’s Division of Oil and Gas regulates petroleum exploration, production and site closing activities, underground injection control, and geophysical surveying.
- DNR’s Division of Reclamation administers state and federal programs for the surface mining of coal, clay, shale, or oil shale, and the restoration of lands disturbed for the extraction of these minerals.
Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC)
The IEDC is the State of Indiana's lead economic development agency. The IEDC focuses its efforts on growing and retaining businesses in Indiana and attracting new business to the State.
Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA)
IHCDA seeks to provide housing opportunities, promote self-sufficiency, and strengthen communities. IHCDA’s programs for low-income Hoosiers include the following:
Indiana State Department of Agriculture (ISDA)
ISDA serves as an advocate for agriculture at the local, state, and federal level and promotes economic opportunity in the food, fiber, and bioenergy sector. OED and ISDA collaborate on promoting and opportunities for bioenergy projects.
- ISDH’s Weights, Measures, and Metrology program monitors diesel and gasoline fueling stations to ensure that consumers receive full measure when they purchase a gallon of fuel.
- DHS writes Indiana’s building energy codes
- DHS assists in developing Indiana’s energy assurance plan
- tax credit for the purchase of a natural gas vehicle with a gross rating of more than 33,000 pounds (IC 6-3.1-34.6)
- tax credit for Indiana’s natural gas tax credit for 12% of the road taxes imposed on a commercial vehicle’s natural gas consumption (IC 6-6-4.1 and IC 6-6.12)
Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC)
The IURC regulates many of Indiana’s electric and natural gas utilities. The IURC approves both utility programs and the recovery of utility expenses through utility rates. An advocate of neither the public nor the utilities, the IURC is required by state statute to make decisions that balance the interests of all parties to ensure the utilities provide adequate and reliable service at reasonable prices.
- Through the Community Development Block Grants that OCRA administers, OCRA can help communities improve the energyefficiency of their wastewater treatment and drinking water plants.
Office of Utility Consumer Counsel (OUCC)
The OUCC represents ratepayer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. The OUCC helps ensure all Indiana consumers have quality, reliable utility services at the most reasonable prices through dedicated advocacy, consumer education, and creative problem solving.