I-65: America's Biofuels Corridor
Replicating Biofuel Successes from Lake Michigan to the Gulf of Mexico
Interstate 65, between Gary, Indiana and Mobile, Alabama is now America's First Biofuels Corridor. The project concept, orginiating with the U.S. Department of Energy called for an increase in the biofuels fueling infrastructure along the Interstate to be upgraded, giving drivers the opportunity of traveling the entire corridor using E85 ethanol or B20 biodiesel. With the completion of this project, drivers are no more than a tankful away from the next biofuels pump.
The Indiana Office of Energy Development was awarded $1.3 million from the U.S. Department of Energy to fund E85 and B20 fueling stations along Interstate 65.The funding was made available by the DOE through the Clean Cities Program. Indiana worked in a leadership capacity with states not currently equipped with biofuel infrastructure to expand the use of E85 and B20 from the Great Lakes to the Gulf Coast.
Most of the infrastructure was in place by October, 2008. A celebration was held in October to mark the completion of the project. The celebration included a corridor drive, that started in both Mobile, Alabama and Gary, Indiana. A caravan of Flexfuel vehicles leaving both of those locations met in Jeffersonville, Indiana for a celebration event.
Information by State
Pump location maps
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Indiana Office of Energy and Defense Development (OED)-Lead Partner
- Central Indiana Clean Cities Alliance, Inc. (CICCA)
- South Shore Clean Cities, Inc. (SSCC)
- Indiana Soybean Alliance (ISA)
- America Lung Association of Indiana
- Kentucky Clean Fuels Coalition (KCFC)
- Energy, Weatherization & Technology Division of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA-EWT)
- Alabama Clean Fuels Coalition
- General Motors
- Family Express-Indiana
- Gas City-Indiana
- TriStar Energy, LLC-Tennessee
- Fords Fuel, LLC-Alabama
- McPherson Company-Alabama
- Merritt Oil Company-Alabama
Updates and additional information about this project will be posted as they develop. If any of the partners wish to have information/updates posted please contact Megan Ottesen.