Geek Indiana Libraries
About Geek Indiana Libraries
Geek the Library is a community awareness campaign designed to highlight the vital role of public libraries and raise awareness about the critical funding issues many libraries face. The campaign was developed and sponsored by OCLC, with funding provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Through the campaign, which began in 2009 and runs through 2015, OCLC worked with many partners including the Indiana State Library.
The campaign officially closed enrollment in June of 2014, but resources for libraries participating in the campaign are still available via the “Get Geek the Library” website.
“Geeking” Indiana Libraries
In Spring of 2011, the Indiana State Library invited libraries across the state to "get their geek on" by joining a statewide library campaign to grab people’s attention and remind them about the immense value public libraries have for Hoosiers and Indiana communities. This one-of-kind awareness campaign introduced the word ‘geek’ as a verb and illustrated the fact that everyone is passionate about something—everyone ‘geeks’ something—and that the public library supports it all. Nearly 60 Indiana Public Libraries participated in the campaign. Funding for Indiana’s campaign was made possible in part by a 2010 LSTA grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Indiana State Library.
Archived Workshops & Past Events
September 1, 2011: Geek the Library Introduction Webinar
May 18, 2011: Geek Indiana Libraries Summit - Indiana State Library
Geek the Library Webinar Series sponsored by OCLC
- August 23, 2011: Five simple ways to partner with other community organizations
- September 27, 2011: Five simple ways to make effective geek boards
- October 25, 2011: Five simple ways to get discounted or free advertising & other services to benefit the campaign
- November 29, 2011: Five simple ways to customize your campaign
Archived Indiana GeekNEWS
Throughout National Library Week, the State Library talked the Geek Indiana Libraries campaign via a series of email newsletters:
- GeekNEWS (4/11): Geek the Library: Coming to Indiana
- GeekNEWS (4/12): Geek the Library: Shelbyville's Success Story
- GeekNEWS (4/14): Geek the Library: Localized Marketing Opportunities
- GeekNEWS (4/15): Geek the Library: Get Your Geek On
- GeekNEWS (4/16): Geek the Library: Campaign Timeline