John Brown Dillon
John Brown Dillon
1859 – 1886
2 mss boxes
Manuscript & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Amy L. Baskette, 1999
John Brown Dillon (1807? – 1879) was the editor of Logansport, Cass County Canal-Telegraph (1834-1842), the Indiana State librarian (1845 – 1851), the secretary for the State Board of Agriculture (1850’s), a clerk in the U.S. Department of the Interior (1863 – 1871), the House Military Affairs Committee (1871 – 1875), secretary of the Indiana Historical Society (1859 – 1879), and author of the History of Indiana (1843) and other works on the history of Indiana, Indians and the Old Northwest.
Scope and Content Note:
The collection consists primarily of Dillon’s historical notes on people and events relating to the early exploration and settlement of Indiana and the Old Northwest. Also included is a scrapbook of Dillon’s letters published in newspapers on the Civil War, the Republican Party, and Indiana history (1861 – 1876); letters to Dillon regarding the Historical Society, the Indiana Sanitary Fair (1864), and Dillon’s historical work; and a memorial by John Coburn on the life of John Brown Dillon.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
Box and Folder Listing (arranged alphabetically):
1. Ancient History Notes, n.d.
2. Banking and Currency Notes, n.d.
3. Centennial Exhibition Notes, n.d.
4. Civil Service Reform Notes and Newspaper Clippings, 1869 – 1877
5. Civil War Era Papers, focus on Indiana Sanitary Fair (1864), 1862 – 1877
6. Constitution and Government – U.S. Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
7. Constitution and Government – U.S. Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
8. Crime and Punishment Notes, non-Indiana, n.d.
9. Education, Notes, and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
10. Geography – non-U.S., Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
11. Geography – U.S., Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
12. History – Indiana, Notes, n.d.
13. History – Indians, Notes, n.d.
14. History – U.S. non-Indiana, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
1. Land, Notes, n.d.
2. Longevity, Notes of Old People, 1863 and 1866
3. Politics, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1860 – 1862
4. Railroads, Notes and Schedule, ca. 1876
5. Religion and Witchcraft, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1875 – 1878
6. River Transportation, Notes, n.d.
7. Science, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1876
8. Scrapbook, 1861 – 1876
9. Slavery, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1859 – 1861
10. State Fair, Indiana, 1874
11. Assorted Papers, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1866 – 1871
12. Assorted Papers, n.d.
13. Correspondence and Newspaper Clippings about Dillon, 1879 – 1886
Size of Collection: 2 mss boxes, 27 folders
Collection Dates: 1859 – 1886
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None