Longwood Post Office Records
V424
1837-1845
1 vol.

Return to the Alphabetical List of All Online Finding Aids

Processed by: Benjamin Clark, March 2006


Historical Note:

The first post office at this site was called Philpott’s Mills, and was established on 15 December 1832. It was named for William Philpott who was the first Postmaster of this location. The name was changed to Longwood on 24 April 1837; the first Postmaster under the new name was Philip N. Marks. Ross Smiley was the Postmaster for the period covered by this collection. The post office was discontinued in 1868, reestablished in 1872, and discontinued again on 15 March 1901.

Source:
Indiana State Library. “Indiana Post Offices Index.” 391- 392

Scope and Content Note:

This collection contains the record of mails received by the postmaster of the Longwood Post Office, Ross Smiley.


Item Listing:

V424 Longwood Post Office records, 1837-1845
   

Collection Information:

Size of Collection:

1 volume

Collection Dates:

1837-1845

Provenance:

Unknown

Access: This collection is open for research.

Restrictions:

None

Reproduction Rights:

Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library.  Possession of a reproduction from an Indiana State Library collection does not constitute permission for use.

Language Materials are entirely in English

Alternate Formats:

None

Related Holdings:

 

Notes:

 


Photocopying Policy:

Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.