IN.gov - Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana State Library

Library > Collections > Rare Books & Manuscripts > Finding Aid Index > Cathryn Kuemmick Boggy Cathryn Kuemmick Boggy

Cathryn Kuemmick Boggy Oral History Transcript
OHT
1907-1981
1 transcript.

Manuscripts & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library

                               Processed by: Marcia Caudell, March, 2012                          

Biographical Note:    

Cathryn Boggy, daughter of Herman and Cora M. and Kuemmick, was born in Indianapolis, Indiana on March 25, 1907. She graduated Arsenal Technical High School and attended Indiana University for a year. She received a teacher’s permit after attending Blaker’s Teachers College in Indianapolis. In the fall of 1926, she began teaching at Indianapolis School 33 where she taught for 18 years. Boggy attended summer school at Columbia University and the University of Colorado. She received a B.S. in Education and a Masters Degree in History and Philosophy from Butler University and earned an elementary and junior high school principal’s license. She came to the Anna Pearl Hamilton School 77 in Irvington in 1947 as a teacher and Principal. She married Horace (Harold) Boggy on December 21, 1949. Boggy retired from teaching in 1967 and died May 26, 1987.

Source:

Oral History Transcript, August 12, 1981
The Indianapolis Star, May 27, 1987
Ancestry Library. Indiana State Library. March 2012. http://www.ancestrylibrary.com

Scope and Content Note:

This collection contains a transcript of an oral history tape made with Rosemary Dilley, Hilton U. Brown Branch, Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library on August 12, 1981. Boggy taught and was the Principal at Anna Pearl Hamilton School 77 in Irvington from 1947 to 1967. In 1947, School 77 was a four room temporary building erected in 1932. There were 125 pupils in 1947. The school system built a permanent building, which opened in 1951. Boggy talks about the design of the two schools, how they used the environment to teach science classes, and the ways in which the students were drawn into the building of the new school, and school activities.
This oral history also contains a brief history of Irvington, the history of School 77 during its first year, including a list of the pupils, and the dedication ceremonies for the new building in 1950 and 1951. Additionally, there is biography of Anna Pearl Hamilton.

Photocopying Policy:

Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.

Item Listing

August 12, 1981 Transcript

Collection Information

Size of Collection: 1 transcript
Collection Dates: 1907-1981
Provenance: Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library
Access : The collection is open for research use
Restrictions: None
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library and the Manuscripts and Rare Books Division, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None
Related Holdings: None
 

MA BA 6-10-2013