Roberts Settlement Collection
1734 – 1944
1 mss box
Manuscripts & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Finding Aid by: Sarah Pfundstein, December 2012
The Roberts family was a group of free African Americans living in North Carolina and Indiana. Principal family members represented in the papers are Jonathan Roberts, Willis Roberts, Hansel Roberts, Stephen Roberts, and Elijah Roberts.
Information Found within Collection
This collection is a Photostat copy of the Library of Congress collection of the same name (MMC-1624). The collection includes correspondence, indentures, free papers, business and tax receipts, deeds, family records, newspaper clippings, genealogical and other papers. The collection also includes military records relating to the Civil War and an 1832 contract to build the first African Methodist Episcopal Church in Indiana.
Manuscript material CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in its entirety. Photocopies and/or digital reproductions (i.e. scans, digital photographs) cannot exceed 25% of a COLLECTION or FOLDER within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Please check with the Manuscript Librarian for possible alternatives.
Box 1. Roberts Settlement Collection 1734-1944
1. Genealogy, Receipts, Explanatory notes, Typed copy 1756-1944
2. Receipts, Jonathon and Willis Roberts 1815-1827
3. Willis Roberts Tax Receipts, etc. 1828-1855
4. Receipts of Willis Roberts 1820-1845
5. Letters and receipts 1820-1859
6. Papers of Stephen Roberts, Hamilton Co. 1842-1852
7. Receipts, deeds, 1857-1868
8. Receipts and notes 1808-1834
9. Receipts, Misc. materials 1796-1877
10. Deeds, notes, letters, 1805-1830
11. Correspondence, Hansel, Dolphus, Ransom & Willis Roberts 1830-1831
12. Correspondence, Hansel, Roberts 1832-1833
13. Papers Willis Roberts and Church in Rush County 1828-1864
14. Indenture, Letters 1833-1876
15. Receipt book 1734-1808; Elijah Roberts Receipts, Newspaper Clippings 1828-1939
16. Genealogical Charts via Mrs. Pruitt 1975
Size of Collection: 1 mss box, 16 folders
Collection Dates: 1734 – 1944
Provenance: Purchased by Indiana State Library from Library of Congress 10-26-71
Access: The Collection is Open for Research Use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript and Rare Books Division, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in: English