Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Edward H. Knight Collection on City Market
1821-1968, bulk 1957-1965
4 mss. boxes
Manuscript Section, Indiana Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Christiana Baich, October 2005
Edward Hussey Knight was born May 26, 1877, in Brazil, Indiana. His parents were George Armstrong Knight and Lucia Elizabeth (Hussey) Knight. He graduated from Wabash College in 1897 and then received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Yale University in 1898. In 1899, Knight received a Bachelor of Laws degree from Indiana Law School. He married Augusta Raible in 1908. They had no children.
Knight practiced law for 71 years in Clay and Marion counties. He also served as deputy Marion County prosecutor (1908-1909), Indianapolis city attorney (1927-1930), and corporation council for two terms (1930-1934, 1939-1943). During the late 1950s and 1960s, Knight was the principal attorney in litigation that saved the City Market, an Indianapolis landmark. He died at the age of 96 on March 7, 1974.
The materials in this collection fully document Knight’s interest in the Indianapolis City Market and his work as an attorney to save the City Market from 1957-1968. Included are legal documents from the case, correspondence, clippings, copies of laws and regulations pertaining to the case, historical materials about the City Market, and photographs. The materials date from 1821 to 1968, with the bulk of the collection dating from 1957 to 1965. Many of the items have annotations written by Knight. There are also a few miscellaneous items also donated by Knight that do not relate to the City Market.
Participants in the case are attorneys for the plaintiff Edward H. Knight and Edward O. Snethen; plaintiffs Paul C. Wetter, Albert Steffey, Peter A. Corsaro, and Dorothy Poynter; attorneys for the defendant Michael B. Reddington, John J. Dillon, and William J. Wood; defendants City of Indianapolis, Mayor Phillip L. Bayt, Charles H. Boswell, David M. Silver, William H. Warren, Shirley E. Murphy, Jacob L. Steinmetz, Board of Public Works, Indianapolis Off-Street Parking Commission, Common Council, and Attorney General Edwin K. Steers; and Judge Robert G. Robb.
The collection largely follows Knight’s original organization, which is roughly by stage of the case and defendant versus plaintiff documents. The materials were grouped together in manila envelopes, which have been retained in some cases because of their annotations.
1. City Market File, 1950-1958
2. City Market File, 1958
3. City Market File, 1959-1961
4. City Market File, 1962-1964
5. Legal Brief of City of Indianapolis, 1962 Oct.
6. Legal Brief of Attorney General, 1962 Nov.
7. Supreme Court Appeal Documents, 1964-1965
8. Supreme Court Appeal Documents, 1965
9. Supreme Court Appeal Documents, 1966-1967
10. Supreme Court Appeal Documents, 1967-1968
1. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 1, 1964
2. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 1, 1964
3. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 1, 1964
4. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 1, 1964
5. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 2, 1964
6. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 2, 1964
7. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 2, 1964
8. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 3, 1964
9. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 3, 1964
10. Appellants’ Brief, Vol. 3, 1964
11. Appellees’ Brief, 1965
12. Appellants’ Reply Brief, 1966
1. General Case File, 1958-1962
2. General Case File, 1962-1963
3. General Case File, 1964, n.d.
4. Correspondence and Research, 1957-1958, n.d.
5. Notes and Research, 1958, n.d.
6. Notes, 1958, n.d.
7. Notes, 1962-1964, n.d.
8. Misc. Case File, 1957-1962
9. Misc. Case File, 1958-1962, n.d.
10. City Market Ordinance, 1963-1964
11. City Market Ordinance, 1964
12. Separate 1965 Case to Protect City Market
1. Clippings, 1957-1958
2. Clippings, 1959-1962
3. Clippings, 1963
4. Clippings, 1964-1968
5. City Market Photographs, n.d.
6. Maps and Drawings, 1821-1906
7. Historical Information, 1870-1907
8. Historical Information, 1922-1956
9. Historical Information, 1956-1958
10. Historical Information, 1958-1965, n.d.
11. Historical Information-Legal, 1821-1959
12. Non-City Market Materials, 1864-1967
Size of Collection:
4 manuscript boxes
1821-1968, bulk 1967-1965
Edward H. Knight, August 1968
Access: This collection is open for research.
Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library. Possession of a reproduction from an Indiana State Library collection does not constitute permission for use.
Language Materials are entirely in English
Search the Indiana State Library's Online Catalog.