Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Howe Family Papers
1817 - 1919
1 mss box
Manuscripts & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Unknown
Reprocessed by: Treva L. Nally, May, 2011
Francis Howe was a Chicago, Illinois businessman. He was named as Secretary-Treasurer of the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad in 1848 along with Directors William B. Ogden and J. Young Scammon. Howe married Rose Bailey daughter of French fur trader Joseph Bailey of Porter County. Francis and Rose Howe had six children but only two lived to adulthood, Rose Howe (Rosey) and Frances Rose (Frankie).
Andreas, A.T. History of Cook County, Illinois, from the Earliest Period to the Present Time: Complete in One Volume. Chicago: A.T. Andreas, 1976: 248. Print
The collection includes estate and business papers of Joseph Bailey, Francis Howe’s letters to his fiancée Rose Bailey, Rose Bailey’s letters to her two daughters while they attended St. Mary-of-the-Woods Academy (1855-1869). Also included is correspondence with Rose Bailey Howe’s sister Eleanor who became a nun, Mother Mary Cecilia.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
Box 1. Legal documents, business papers and personal correspondence
1. 1817-1849 Legal documents and personal correspondence
2. 1850-1859 Legal documents, business papers and personal correspondence
3. 1860-1865 Legal documents, business papers and personal correspondence
4. 1866-1869 Business papers and personal correspondence
5. 1870-1879 Business papers and personal correspondence
6. 1880-1889 Business papers and personal correspondence
7. 1890-1904 Business papers and personal correspondence
8. 1905-1909 Business papers and personal correspondence
9. 1910-1919, no date Personal correspondence
Size of Collection: 1 mss box, 9 folders
Collection Dates: 1817 - 1919
Provenance: Marjorie Bowers, May 25, 1935
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Division, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are in English, French and German
Alternate Formats: None
Related Holdings: Joseph Bailey (L5), Rose Howe (S691)