Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
2 mss boxes
Manuscripts & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Philip N. Williams, 1999
Reprocessed by Laura Williams, May 2012
William Oscar Edison (also Edson, Edington, or Eddington) was born in St. Joseph County, Indiana, on October 15, 1842. As a child, he was placed in Our Savior Work School for Boys and then taken from the home to work on a farm. Edison was a private in Company B of the 48th Indiana Infantry during the Civil War. He mustered out on July 15, 1865. He married Samantha Anne Rea on September 12, 1872. Edison died on September 28, 1930.
Ezra Thomas Crocker was born at Pawlet, Vermont, on March 9, 1806. He married Julia Curtis at Hudson, Ohio, on April 8, 1828. He died at Franklin, Ohio, on July 8, 1839.
Information found within the collection.
The collection contains genealogical papers collected by Olive Edison Hartsough concerning the Edison and Crocker families of northern Indiana. The papers date from 1871 to 1983. Other families named in the collection are Hartsough, Brewster, Howes, Hooker, Eisenhour, Curtis, Tobey, Pippenger, Rea, Surface, and Tilley. The papers include heat-transfer duplicates, photostats, photocopies of military and other governmental records, registers, pedigree charts, family group sheets, family trees, genealogical notes and notebooks, abstracts, correspondence, newspaper clippings, certificates, and photographs. Hartsough conducted much of her research with the goal of establishing her eligibility for memberships in the Society of Mayflower Descendants, the National Society Colonial Dames of the XVII Century, and the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
1. Pension claims of William Edison 1889-1930
2. Pension claims of William Edison 1889-1930
3. Civil War records of William Edison 1864-1865
4. Veterans Admin. Papers for William Edington/Edison 1971-1972
5. Census records requests 1973, 1978, and undated
6. Military records for William Eddington/Edison, 1864-1978
7. “The Ancestors, Descendants, and Relations of Thomas Crocker,” 1965
8. “A Biography of Thomas Martin Crocker,” 1972
9. “Tobey (Tobie, Toby) Genealogy,” 1905
10. Correspondence regarding Crocker family
11. “History of Ezra T. and Caroline Crocker and Family”
12. Family group records and pedigree charts
13. “The Pictorial Family Register” of the Surface family, c 1
14. “The Pictorial Family Register” of the Surface family, c 2
1. Biographies of Hooker and Surface family members
2. Pippenger family records
3. Notebooks, family trees, and other genealogical notes
4. Correspondence regarding Ezra Thomas Crocker, pt. 1
5. Correspondence regarding Ezra Thomas Crocker, pt. 2
6. Correspondence regarding Crocker family
7. Correspondence of Olive E. Hartsough and news clippings, 1958-1971
8. Correspondence of Olive E. Hartsough and news clippings, 1972-1983
9. Correspondence with organizations
10. Correspondence with organizations
11. Certificate of Appreciation and News Clippings, Gary Public Schools
Size of Collection: 2 mss boxes, 25 folders
Collection Dates: 1864-1983
Provenance: Donna Thiele, July 17, 1992
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Division, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are in English and German
Alternate Formats: None