Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
1881 – 1961
2 mss boxes
Manuscript & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Philip N. Williams, 1999
L.B. Graves attended high school in Nineveh, Indiana. He and his wife Kate, a graduate of Franklin College and teacher in Johnson County, farmed in the area of Franklin, Indiana, where they raised sheep and cattle. The couple moved to Franklin in 1894; they retired to the Franklin Methodist Home in December of 1960.
The collection consists mostly of almanacs and diaries of L.B. Graves, which date from 1881 to 1961. With the exception of Barker’s Illustrated Almanac, L.B. Graves used almanacs as diaries. L.B. Graves kept all diaries, except for a student diary kept by his wife. The diaries include notations of farm chores or conditions and the social obligations of Mr. and Mrs. Graves, the latter related to such activities as church attendance, the Methodist Men’s Club, a temperance union, and Read Cross sewing. Brief accounts of goods and livestock are sometimes kept separately in the front or back of a diary. After January of 1961, the diaries reflect activities within the Franklin Methodist Home.
Assorted items, dating from 1886 to 1955, include a variety of materials. Included are: a thank you letter for condolences offered at the bereavement for a dead husband who had been a member of State Fencibles’ Battalion, headquartered in Philadelphia; materials relating to Miss Nellie Graves’ interest in Stradivarius violins; the last will and testament of Florence Platt Swanson; and the photograph of an unidentified house.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
1. Green’s Almanac: Nov. 1881 – Nov. 1882
2. Green’s Diary Almanac: Nov. 1882 – Dec. 1883
3. Green’s Diary Almanac: Nov. 1883 – Dec. 1884
4. Green’s Almanac: Dec., 1885 – Dec., 1886
5. The Indiana State Almanac and Household Guide: Jan. – Dec. 1886
6. Diamond Dye Almanac: 1887
7. Diamond Dye Almanac: 1888
8. August Flower & German Syrup Almanac: 1889
9. August Flower & German Syrup Almanac: 1890
10. August Flower & German Syrup Almanac: 1891
11. Kickapoo Indian Almanac: 1892
12. Banker’s Illustrated Almanac: 1894
13. Excelsior Diary Almanac: 1900
14. Peruna Almanac: 1904
15. Peruna Almanac: 1905
16. Excelsior Diary Almanac: 1908
17. August Flower & German Syrup Almanac: Dec. 1908 – Nov. 1909
18. Diary Almanac: 1910
19. Miles’ Combination Diary: 1912
20. Diary: Dec. 25, 1914 – Nov. 15, 1915
1. Student Diary of Kate Graves: 1893
2. Scattered Diary Entries of L.B. Graves: 1893 – 1899
3. Diary of L.B. Graves: Dec. 17, 1916 – Jan. 5, 1918
4. Ideal Combination Diary: 1927 – 1928
5. 5 Year Diary: 1958 – 1962
6. Daily Aide, Silent Secretary: 1961
7. Letter: Emma to Sister Mary; Nov. 22, 1886
8. Nellie Graves: Inquiries about Stradivarius Violins, 1937 – 1947
9. Will of Florence Platt Swanson, Dec. 14, 1955
10. Photograph of Home
Size of Collection: 2 mss boxes, 30 folders
Collection Dates: 1881 – 1961
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript and Rare Books Division, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None