Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Edgar C. Leisure
3 manuscript boxes.
Manuscript & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Jessica Combs, July 2010
Edgar C. Leisure was raised in Largo, Indiana. He attended Purdue University for electrical engineering. While at Purdue he was introduced to Elsie Kummer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Kummer, by her brother Calvin. Edgar and Elsie married May 2, 1936. They lived in the Irvington area. During World War II, Edgar was a soldier fighting in the European theater, and for part of his time he was stationed in London, England. During this time Edgar sent his letters to Elsie’s workplace where she worked as an underwriter for American Surety. Edgar and Elsie raised two children Edgar T. Leisure and Carol J. Leisure.
This collection largely contains letters from Captain Edgar C. Leisure to his wife Elsie. It also has letters from Calvin Kummer to his sister, Elsie. A few letters from and to other individuals are also included. This collection also has newspaper clippings, telegrams, cards, and other various papers that were mailed between Edgar and Elsie.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
Box and Folder Listing:
Box 1. 1942-1943
1. Letters from June-July 1942
2. Letters from August 1942
3. Letters from September 1942
4. Letters from October 1942
5. Letters from November 1942
6. Letters from December 1942
7. Letters from January-February 1943
Box 2. 1943-1944
1. Letters from March 1943
2. Letters from April 1943
3. Letters from May-June 1943
4. Letters from August- September 1943
5. Letters from October 1943- January 1944
6. Letters from February 1944
7. Letters from March 1944
8. Letters from April-May 1944
Box 3. 1944-1945
1. Letters from June 1944
2. Letters from July-August 1944
3. Letters from September-December 1944
4. Letters from January-February 1945
5. Letters from March-April 1945
6. Letters from May-June 1945
7. Letters from July-September 1945
8. Undated telegrams and envelope
Size of Collection: 3 manuscript boxes, 23 folders
Collection Dates: 1942-1945
Provenance: Detrie J. Franks, June 2009
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None