IN.gov - Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana State Library

Library > Collections > Rare Books & Manuscripts > Finding Aid Index > Flora, H.M. Flora, H.M.

H.M. Flora Photograph Collection
P8
Dates Unknown
1 mss box

Manuscript & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library

Processed by: Unknown
Finding Aid by: Treva L. Nally, April 2011
                          

Scope and Content Note:

Dated between 1926 & Feb – May 1928, this picture collection focuses on Madison, Indiana and the areas around Madison, staying within Jefferson County, Indiana.

Photocopying Policy:

Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.

Box and Folder Listing:

Box 1, Folder 1.  Homes

The Old William Bruning residence.
The Old C.C. Coruett residence on the hill top.
Drusilla Lanier Cravens House, top of hill overlooking Madison.
Drusilla Lanier Cravens House in the distance, turn of the road, SR 29.
Home of Mrs. William R. Davidson.
Home of Mrs. William R. Davidson.
Residence of Judge John R. Cravens at Fairmont on the hill top.
Residence of Mrs. James E. Crozier.
The old home of Mrs. Cunningham on the hill top.
The old home of Mrs. Cunningham on the hill top.
The old Fitch residence.
Living room & parlor in the Fitch residence.
Stairway & hall in the old Fitch residence.
A.V. Flora residence, from left to right, Mrs. H.M. Flora, H.M. Flora, Mrs. E.E. Flora, A.V. Flora
          & Mrs. A.V. Flora.
The old M.C. Garber House, corner of 2nd & Central Ave, built in 1853.
The old M.C. Garber residence.
The M.C. Garber residence and lawn.
Residence of Mr. Michael E. Garber, Editor of the Madison Courier.
The old Hitz home, this house was planned by the architect Costigan.
The S.Q. Howe house. It stood where the depot is now.

Box 1, Folder 2.  Homes

The Colonial Inn, now the home of the Jefferson County Historical Society. The original   
          Lanier House.
House built by Major Alex Lanier. The first Grand Lodge of Masons in Indiana organized in
          1818
Old house at the corner of East & 2nd Streets, built by John McIntyre 115 years ago.
One of the oldest houses in Madison, the McClelland house.
The old McKee House, corner of Broadway and 1st St.
The old G.W. Palmer House.
The old I. Ross House. One of the first brick houses built in Madison.
Shrewsbury House, North side. (later Mrs. Harry Walker home)
Shrewsbury House, South side.
Shrewsbury House, South side.
Shrewsbury House, South side.
Dining room, Shrewsbury House.
Living room, Shrewsbury House, South side.
Spiral stairway, Shrewsbury House, South side.
The old C.A. Stanton residence.
The Schofield House, formerly the Todd House.
The old William Trow residence.

Box 1, Folder 3.  Lanier Home

J.D.F. Lanier House in Madison.
J.D.F. Lanier House in Madison.
A very late photo of the Lanier House.
South entrance to the Lanier House.
Pilgrimage of the IN Historical Society taken at the Lanier House, Oct, 1927.
The Lanier and lawn.
Dedication of Lanier House, Oct 9, 1926. Col Richard Lieber, director & Everett Gardner.
Dedication of Lanier House, Oct 9, 1926.
Dedication of Lanier House, Oct 9, 1926.
Dedication of Lanier House, Oct 9, 1926.
Dedication of Lanier House, Oct 9, 1926.
Children at the Dedication of Lanier House, Oct 9, 1926.
Governor Jackson, Dedication of Lanier House, Oct 9, 1926.
Dedication of Lanier House, Oct 9, 1926.
North & west sides of the Lanier House.
High water March 1927.
Blue Room, Lanier House.
Study Room, Lanier House.
Study Room, Lanier House.
Study Room, Lanier House.
Guest Room, Lanier House.
Guest Room, Lanier House.
Guest Room, Lanier House.
Gold Room, Lanier House.
Blue Room, Lanier House.
Blue Room, Lanier House.
Drawing Room, Lanier House.
Living Room, Lanier House.
Drawing Room, Lanier House.
Maple Room, Lanier House.
Maple Room, Lanier House.
Dining Room, Lanier House.
Entrance & downstairs hallway, Lanier House.
Entrance & downstairs hallway, Lanier House.
Drawing Room, Lanier House.
Living Room, Lanier House.
Study Room, Lanier House.

Box 1, Folder 4.  Churches

First Baptist Church.
Interior of St. Mary’s Catholic Church.
St. Michael’s Catholic Church, building on the left is the Rectory.
Interior of St. Michael’s Catholic Church.
Christ or Episcopal Church.
Christian Church.
Lutheran Church built in 1842.
German M.E. Church founded in 1847.
Odd Fellows Fountain and Trinity M.E. Church.
The old Wesley Chapel, M.E. Church.
The Madison Presbyterian Church.
The old First Presbyterian Church Parsonage.
The old Second Presbyterian Church.

Box 1, Folder 5. Clifty Falls

Wilson’s Cave
Clifty Falls.
Clifty Falls, 94 foot fall of water.
Clifty Falls from the top of the cliffs.
View in Clifty Falls State Park taken in 1927.
Clifty Falls.
Old Clifty Inn.
Hanging Rock in winter.
Hanging Rock close-up in winter.
Hanging Rock in winter.
Stone settee in Clifty Park.
Stone settee in Clifty Park.
Bronze inscription set in back of stone settee in Clifty Park.
Balanced rock near Clifty Park.
View in Clifty Falls State Park 1927.
View in Clifty Falls State Park 1927.
View in Clifty Falls State Park 1927.
Bridge, View in Clifty Falls State Park 1927.
View in Clifty Falls State Park 1927.
View in Clifty Falls State Park 1927.
View in Clifty Falls State Park 1927.
Residence of Mr. Copeland, Custodian of Clifty Falls Park.
Shower Bath Falls near the Hanging Rock.
Shower Bath Falls near the Hanging Rock.
Approach to the “Old Swimming Hole”, Clifty Falls State Park.
The “Old Swimming Hole”.
Hanging Rock.

Box 1, Folder 6.  Buildings

First National Bank.
The Vail Memorial Funeral Home.
City Hall.
Eagle Cotton Mills built in 1884.
Madison Country Club.
The Court House and Market Square.
The Court House.
“Cragmont” Southern Hospital for the Insane.
Dr. George W. Denny’s Sanitarium.
The Elk’s House.
The Old 3 Horse Fire Engine.
The Old 3 Horse Fire Engine.
Government building Post Office.
Public square, J.E. Crozier monuments, W.W. Crozier Job Printing Grand Opera House.
Peter Weber Brewery, corner Main & Vine St.
Winterwold.
The King’s Daughters Hospital.
The old Broadway Hotel, corner of Main & Broadway.
The old Finnegan Hotel on Broadway.
Jefferson Hotel, Mulberry & 2nd St.

Box 1, Folder 7.  Buildings

Hillside Hotel.
Hillside Hotel & Annex.
Looking west down Main St from Hillside Hotel. The Annex in foreground.
Hillside Hotel at the end of Main St.
Western Hotel, corner of West & Front St.
Market House, corner of Main & Walnut St.
Harper’s Drug Store, Masonic Temple & National Branch Bank.
Masonic Temple.
Middleton Monument.
The County House or Poor Farm of Jefferson County.
The first YMCA building in Indiana. Built in 1883. Hanover College.

Box 1, Folder 8. Hanover College

The Baldridge Gates.
Assembly Hall, south side facing the Ohio River.
Entrance to Hanover College grounds, showing library & part of Assembly Hall.
Science Hall.
Gymnasium.
The Girl’s Dormitory.
Science Hall.
Hendricks Library.
The residence of Prof. W.O. Miller.
Hanover College campus, library to the right, Science Hall to the left.

Box 1, Folder 9.  Railroads

The “Old Hill Train to Madison”, coming down loaded with an excursion train of
           14 coaches.
The Rail Road Cuts, looking south in winter.
The Cut
South on Road 3-6 into Madison. Railroad Cuts to the right.
The Round House at North Madison.
The old Pennsylvania Freight Depot.
The J.M & I Passenger Depot.
Concrete bridge crossing railroad tracks at top of hill entrance to “Cragmont”.
High Bridge, KY.

Box 1, Folder 10. Schools

The Edward Eggleston School built in 1906.
3rd District Public School built in 1864.
5th District Public School built in 1875.
The old Lower Seminary built in 1871.
Junior High School built in 1877.
Senior High School built in 1868.
Broadway High School (colored) built in 1898.

Box 1, Folder 11. Landscape

Looking west from below Clifty Falls Inn, 10/30/1926.
West down the Ohio River from Clifty Falls Inn.
East from Clifty Falls Inn, Madison in the distance.
Country Club grounds from the top of the Kentucky Hills.
Cragmont Southeastern Hospital for the Insane, from the top of the Kentucky hills.
The old Michigan Road now interstate 29.
Jefferson County Poor Farm.
Harvest Creek.
Madison 1894.
Madison looking west.
The little village of Bee Camp.
Looking north on Canaan Road.
The road to Canaan.
Looking down Main St.
From College Point, West Hanover, Indiana.
East from Big Cedar Cliff.
Brother Falls just below Hanover, Indiana.
Tunnel Falls near Madison.
Sugar Loaf Hill, Ohio River, Kentucky in the distance.
East from Hanover Road, Madison in the distance.
Madison from the Kentucky shore.
Madison from the Hillside Hotel.
“Happy Valley” from a painting by William McKendree Snyder.
Rykers Ridge Road & Valley.
Eagle Hollow from Cedar Cliff, Pleasant Ridge Road.
Top of Dyke at Madison from Kentucky shore.

Box 1, Folder 12. Misc

Washington, Paddleboat.
Game Wardens for Indiana. Col Lieber in the center.
The bronze figures on top of the Middleton Monument.
J.F.D. Lanier photo from oil painting.
The Odd Fellows Fountain on Broadway in Madison.
The largest Elm Tree in Indiana at Deputy, Indiana.
Jefferson County.

Collection Information

Size of Collection: 1 mss box, 12 folders
Collection Dates: Unknown
Provenance: Transferred from Indiana Division, April 1998
Access : The collection is open for research use
Restrictions: None
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript and Rare Books Division, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None
Related Holdings: None
Notes: