Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
6 folders, 1 oversized
Manuscripts & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Julie A. Reid, January 2005
Allen County was created by legislative act on April 1, 1824. County officers were first elected May 22. The plat for the town of Fort Wayne accepted by the board of county commissioners designated a half square for use as a courthouse site and lots on which to locate “a seminary of learning”, and “a church, to be of no particular denomination, but free to all”. John T. Barr of Baltimore, Maryland, and John McCorkle of Piqua, Ohio gave lots to the county that were intended to be sold so that sale proceeds could be placed in the county treasury. These lots were part of a tract purchased by Barr and McCorkle from a government land sale.
Sources: Griswold, Bert Joseph. Fort Wayne, Gateway of the West, 1802-1813. New York: AMS Press Inc., 1973.
This collection contains papers related to the early history of Fort Wayne. Included are a number of documents in French, recollections about the Henry Rudisill home and mill, copies of Henry Rudisill’s private letters, information pertaining to Captain William Wells and a legal document pertaining to the city of Fort Wayne. This collection also contains a copy of a legal document that appears to pertain to a county land sale that took place for the purposes of creating a canal, and a copy of the 1850 Census Schedule 5, Products of Industry for Wayne Township in Allen County. This census page lists individuals who operated a business during that time.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
1809, Oct. 7 Copy of handwritten statement by Captain Heald
1809, Oct. 3 (?) Copy of handwritten letter by William Henry Harrison
1882, Nov. 17 N. C. McFarland to Department of the Interior
1793 – 1807 (?) French documents
n.d. Reminiscences of Fort Wayne by Mrs. Rosa A. Langtry (typewritten), copied from the original 21 December 1926
n.d. “The Siege of Fort Wayne”, extracts from the unpublished manuscripts of Major B. F. Stickney, photocopied from clipping August 1927
1830, Jan. 12 – 1848 (?), June 9 Henry Rudisill to John T. Barr, copies of private letters, Photostatted from original 18 August 1927
n.d. Advertisement card for the Western Washer manufactured by the Horton Manufacturing Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana
n.d. Handwritten copy of text that appears to have been extracted from various historical collections pertaining to Captain Wells
n.d. Typewritten copy of text that appears to have been extracted from various historical collections pertaining to Captain Wells, the Maumee River Basin, pioneer history, Tecumseh, Fort Dearborn, Fort Wayne, Little Turtle and More’s Farm
1824, April 20 Copy of legal document prepared for John T. Barr and John McCorkle pertaining to the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana (2 copies)
1824, April 20 Copy of legal document pertaining to the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana (2 copies)
1850, June 1 Copy of 1850 Census Schedule 5, Products of Industry for Wayne Township in Allen County
n.d. Copy of legal document that appears to pertain to a county land purchase for the purpose of creating a canal
Size of Collection: 6 folders
Collection Dates: 1783-1882
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library.
Alternate Formats: None