Indiana Historic Site Articles
Manuscripts & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Barbara Hilderbrand, March 2007
The Corydon State House was designed in 1812 and became the seat of territorial government in 1816. The officers of the new state of Indiana took their oaths there when Indiana was admitted to the Union. It remained the capital until 1824.
The Lanier Memorial Home is located in Madison, Jefferson County, Indiana. It was the home of James F. D. Lanier, a lawyer who came to Indiana at the age of twenty-three. The home became a state memorial in 1926.
The Pigeon Roost Memorial is located in Scott County near Underwood, Indiana and commemorates one of the last massacres of pioneer settlers by Indians in the northwestern section of this country.
The Tippecanoe Battleground Memorial is located near Battleground, Indiana in Tippecanoe County. The memorial commemorates the November 7, 1811 battle between a frontier army led by William H. Harrison and the Prophet in a last attempt to drive the white settlers back across the Ohio River. It became a memorial in 1925.
This collection contains histories of The Corydon State House, the Lanier Memorial Home, Pigeon Roost Memorial, and the Tippecanoe Battleground Memorial.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
undated The Corydon State House
undated The James F. D. Lanier Home
undated Pigeon Roost Memorial
undated Tippecanoe Battlefield
Size of Collection: 1 folder (4 items)
Collection Dates: circa 1900s
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None