Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Anna W. Wright
1860-1890, 1903, 1911
1 mss. box
Manuscripts & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Alison Smith, October 2007
Anna Wright was the daughter of Jacob T. Wright (1816-1891), an Indianapolis businessman. He was also the chairman of the Republican State Central Committee (1864-1868).
The collection includes letters to Governor Oliver P. Morton regarding the recruitment of black troops for Indiana regiments during the Civil War (1861-1864) and letters from Oliver P. Morton to Jacob Wright concerning the 1868 Republican National Convention from 1866-1868. Also included are several family letters to Jacob Wright and correspondence from a variety of national politicians to Louis T. Michener responding to his requests for them to speak in Indiana during the 1890 election. Also included are papers of the Union State Central Committee, an Indianapolis Republican organization from 1864-1866. In addition the collection contains account books fro the George Tomlinson general merchandise store in Southport, Marion Co. (1855-1858). The collection also contains pages from a scrapbook that contain programs, clippings, correspondence, and photographs of the Girls Classical School of Indianapolis. Included are materials relating to May Wright Sewall who was the principal of the school from 1891-1906. A variety of late 19th Century newspaper clippings are also included in the collection.
The correspondents in the collection include William B. Allison, Albert J. Beveridge, Charles A. Boutelle, John Coburn, Shelby Cullom, Will Cumback, William P. Fishback, Robert M. LaFollette, William H.H. Miller, Oliver P. Morton, L.E. Payson, Gilbert A. Pierce, Preston B. Plumb, Thomas B. Reed, John C. Spooner, W.H.H. Terrell, Richard W. Thompson, and Daniel W. Voorhees.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
1. Personal correspondence of J.G. Wright 1861,1863
2. Correspondence about the 28th United States Colored Troops, 1863-1864
3. Political correspondence, 1863-1864, 1866-1868, 1874
4. Campaign correspondence, 1890
5. Campaign correspondence, 1890
6. Correspondence of Granville S. Wright from W.R. Holloway, circa 1890
7. Personal correspondence of Anna Wright, 1911
8. Account book for the Union State Central Committee, 1866
9. Invitations, announcements, and receipts, 1868, 1874, 1877-1883, 1891, 1903, 1911
10. Scrapbook of materials regarding the Girls Classical School of Indianapolis, circa 1890
11. Late 19th Century newspaper clippings, circa 1888
12. Late 19th Century newspaper clippings, circa 1888
13. Late 19th Century newspaper clippings, circa 1888
14. Late 19th Century newspaper clippings, circa 1888
Size of Collection: 1 manuscript box (14 folders)
Collection Dates: 1860-1890, 1903, 1911
Provenance: Miss Anna W. Wright, June 1935
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are in English and German
Alternate Formats: None
Related Holdings: B 161, V 212 (2 volumes)