Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
John Brown Dillon
1859 – 1886
2 mss boxes
Manuscript & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Amy L. Baskette, 1999
John Brown Dillon (1807? – 1879) was the editor of Logansport, Cass County Canal-Telegraph (1834-1842), the Indiana State librarian (1845 – 1851), the secretary for the State Board of Agriculture (1850’s), a clerk in the U.S. Department of the Interior (1863 – 1871), the House Military Affairs Committee (1871 – 1875), secretary of the Indiana Historical Society (1859 – 1879), and author of the History of Indiana (1843) and other works on the history of Indiana, Indians and the Old Northwest.
The collection consists primarily of Dillon’s historical notes on people and events relating to the early exploration and settlement of Indiana and the Old Northwest. Also included is a scrapbook of Dillon’s letters published in newspapers on the Civil War, the Republican Party, and Indiana history (1861 – 1876); letters to Dillon regarding the Historical Society, the Indiana Sanitary Fair (1864), and Dillon’s historical work; and a memorial by John Coburn on the life of John Brown Dillon.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
1. Ancient History Notes, n.d.
2. Banking and Currency Notes, n.d.
3. Centennial Exhibition Notes, n.d.
4. Civil Service Reform Notes and Newspaper Clippings, 1869 – 1877
5. Civil War Era Papers, focus on Indiana Sanitary Fair (1864), 1862 – 1877
6. Constitution and Government – U.S. Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
7. Constitution and Government – U.S. Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
8. Crime and Punishment Notes, non-Indiana, n.d.
9. Education, Notes, and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
10. Geography – non-U.S., Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
11. Geography – U.S., Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
12. History – Indiana, Notes, n.d.
13. History – Indians, Notes, n.d.
14. History – U.S. non-Indiana, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
1. Land, Notes, n.d.
2. Longevity, Notes of Old People, 1863 and 1866
3. Politics, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1860 – 1862
4. Railroads, Notes and Schedule, ca. 1876
5. Religion and Witchcraft, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1875 – 1878
6. River Transportation, Notes, n.d.
7. Science, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1876
8. Scrapbook, 1861 – 1876
9. Slavery, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1859 – 1861
10. State Fair, Indiana, 1874
11. Assorted Papers, Notes and Newspaper Clippings, ca. 1866 – 1871
12. Assorted Papers, n.d.
13. Correspondence and Newspaper Clippings about Dillon, 1879 – 1886
Size of Collection: 2 mss boxes, 27 folders
Collection Dates: 1859 – 1886
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None