Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
2 mss boxes, 12 folders
Manuscript & Rare Books Division
Indiana State Library
Processed by: Brent Abercrombie, October 2009
Mary Rigg was an Indianapolis social worker and director of the American Settlement, a settlement house for immigrants on Indianapolis’s west side (1924-1939). Rigg was also director of its successor, the Southwest Social Center, on the southwest side of the city from 1939 to 1961.
The collection consists of letters written by World War II soldiers, who were active in the American Settlement, to Mary Rigg. Also included are reports on Indianapolis’s social work activities, as well as attendance and financial records for both the American Settlement and Southwest Social Center. The collection also contains cards, clippings, and other personal material of Mary Rigg.
Manuscript materials CANNOT be photocopied or digitized in their entirety. Photocopies and/or digital images cannot exceed 25% of a collection or a folder within a collection. In some cases, photocopying may not be permitted due to the condition of the item. Check with a Manuscript Librarian for other options.
Box 1. Correspondence and Social Material 1942 - 1946
1. Correspondence 1942 – 1943
2. Correspondence 1944
3. Letters to Mary Rigg 1945 – 1946
4. Miscellaneous Social Material and Envelops 1942 – 1945
Box 2. Miscellaneous Business Papers and Reports
1. Check Stubs for Southwest Social Center 1940 – 1945, 1960 – 1961
2. Bank Statements of Indianapolis Southwest Social Center 1940 – 1942, 1961 – 1962
3. Bank Statements of Southwest Social Center 1963 – 1964
4. Financial Reports for American Settlement 1936 – 1939
5. Newspaper Clippings 1931 – 1936, no date
6. Reports 1924 – 1939
7. Service Records of American Settlement Boys
8. American Settlement Roll and Attendance Records 1938 – 1940
Size of Collection: 2 mss boxes, 12 mss folders
Collection Dates: 1924 – 1964
Provenance: Mary Rigg Neighborhood Center, May 1975
Access : The collection is open for research use
Reproduction Rights: Permission to reproduce, exhibit, or publish material in this collection must be obtained from the Manuscript Section, Indiana State Library.
Language: Materials are entirely in English
Alternate Formats: None
Related Holdings: L310, V242, Mary Rigg Center Records
Notes: Item by item inventory available upon request