For free unbiased and confidential mortgage foreclosure counseling and homeowner education contact the Indiana Foreclosure Prevention Network. The Indiana Foreclosure Prevention Network is a statewide coalition of lenders, banks, community organizations and housing-related agencies that have joined togethe to assist Hoosiers facing foreclosure.
Call toll-free at 1.877.GET.HOPE (1.877.438.4673)
Find help online at http://www.877gethope.org/
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Find information about avoiding foreclosure and be referred to a HUD-approved housing counselor near you.
Federal Housing Administration
Find information on home refinancing programs backed by the federal government.
Indiana Attorney General Consumer Protection Division
Report mortgage fraud or foreclosure assistance
Don't let the walls foreclose in on you! If you are unable to make your mortgage payment:
1. Don't ignore the problem. Open and respond to all mail from your lender.
2. Contact your lender as soon as you realize that you have a problem. Lenders have options to help borrowers through difficult financial times.
3. Seek help and information about foreclosure prevention options. Contact a housing counselor by calling the state's toll free foreclosure prevention hotline at 1.877.GET.HOPE.
4. Show your willingness to make sacrifices to keep your home. Review your finances and cut spending where you can in order to make your mortgage payment. Consider options for additional income, such as an extr job or selling nonessential assets.
5. Avoid foreclosure prevention scams. Be careful about people who may approach you about "saving" your home for a fee.