The Commission was created to do the following:
1. Study the investment and management practices of the boards of the public retirement funds.
2. Determine what constitutes adequate wage replacement levels at retirement (including benefits from public retirement funds and social security) for public employees.
3. Study the impact of federal law and proposals concerning pensions, annuities, and retirement benefits.
4. Study the public safety officers retirement funds established under IC 36-8.
5. Study methods and levels of funding for public retirement plans.
In addition, the Legislative Council directed the Commission to study the following topics in 2001:
A. State police pension issues (SCR 90)
B. Participation of employees of small businesses in the state employees group health benefit plan (SCR 76)
C. State police disability plan (HR 112)