The Environmental Quality Service Council (EQSC) is required to do the following:
(1) Advise the Commissioner of the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) on policy issues decided upon by the EQSC.
(2) Review the mission and goals of IDEM and evaluate the implementation of the mission.
(3) Serve as a council of the General Assembly to evaluate:
(A) resources and structural capabilities of IDEM to meet IDEM's priorities; and
(B) program requirements and resource requirements for IDEM.
(4) Serve as a forum for citizens, the regulated community, and legislators to discuss broad policy directions.
(5) Submit a final report to the Governor, the General Assembly, the Budget Committee, and the Administrative Rules Oversight Committee each year that contains:
(A) an outline of activities of the EQSC;
(B) recommendations for any IDEM action;
(C) recommendations for any legislative action; and
(D) an estimate of funding levels required by IDEM, including an evaluation of permit fees.
In addition the Legislative Council assigned the following topics to the Commission for study in the 2001 interim:
A. Review environmental efforts that are fully or partially funded by the state with respect to resource recovery, pollution prevention, clean manufacturing, recycling, non-point source pollution, and other environmental issues (SCR 58)
B. Environmental crimes (SB 133)
C. Recycling issues (HB 1058)
D. Wastewater and drinking water revolving fund (SR)
E. Impact of increased levels of outdoor lighting ("Light pollution") (Legislative Council)