The Natural Resources Study Committee was established by statute to do the following:
(1) Examine laws relating to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and recommend, when necessary, legislative changes designed to better serve the citizens of Indiana.
(2) Advise and assist the IDNR in programming its activities and in developing a long-range plan for land acquisition, capital improvement, and development of facilities.
(3) Oversee the Indiana Water Resource Management Program.
In addition, the Legislative Council has assigned the following topics to the Committee to study during the 1999 interim:
(1) flood plains and floodway regulations with respect to construction in Indiana; and
(2) the need for a Forest Inventory Program in Indiana.