The Commission was created by P.L. 338-1995 (as amended by P.L. 241-1997). The
Commission consists of fourteen (14) voting members as follows:
(1) Six members of the Senate.
(2) Six members of the House or Representatives.
(3) One (1) individual who is not a legislator, appointed by the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission (NIRPC).
(4) One (1) individual who is not a legislator, appointed by the Michiana Area Council of Governments.
The Commission studies the following issues:
(1) The feasibility of establishing improvement to commuter transportation and rail service in the Westlake County-Chicago and Valparaiso-Chicago corridors.
(2) All aspects of regional mass transportation and road and highway needs in Lake County, LaPorte County, St. Joseph County, and Elkhart County.
(3) The Commission may study other topics as assigned by the Legislative Council.
A final report of the Commission's findings and recommendations to the Legislature is due before November 1, 1999.