Applicability; standards for determining residency; exception
Sec. 1.5. (a) The standards set forth in IC 3-5-5 to determine the residence of an individual applying to become a voter apply to the determination of the residence of an individual applying for a license under this article.
(b) This section does not prevent the bureau from issuing a license under this article to an individual who is:
(1) not required by this article to reside in Indiana to receive the license; and
(2) otherwise qualified to receive the license.
As added by P.L.14-2004, SEC.186. Amended by P.L.125-2012, SEC.160.
(Repealed by P.L.125-2012, SEC.161.)
(Repealed by P.L.156-2006, SEC.25.)
Medical services vehicle operation; requirements
Sec. 4. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, an individual
(1) have a valid Indiana driver's license; and
(2) be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
to drive a medical services vehicle upon an Indiana highway.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.125-2012, SEC.162.
Motorcycle operation; required licenses
Sec. 5. (a) An individual must have a valid driver's license that may be any of the following to operate a motorcycle upon a public highway:
(1) An operator's, a chauffeur's, a public passenger chauffeur's, or a commercial driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement.
(2) A motorcycle learner's permit subject to the limitations imposed under IC 9-24-8.
(3) A driver's license from any other jurisdiction that is valid for the operation of a motorcycle in that jurisdiction.
(b) An individual who held a motorcycle operator's license on December 31, 2011, must hold a valid operator's, chauffeur's, public passenger chauffeur's, or commercial driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement in order to operate the motorcycle after December 31, 2011, without restrictions.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.109-2011, SEC.6; P.L.125-2012, SEC.163.
Commercial driver's license; necessity; exception
Sec. 6. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) or as otherwise provided in this article, an individual must hold a valid commercial driver's license to drive a commercial motor vehicle upon an Indiana highway.
(b) Subsection (a) does not apply if the individual:
(1) holds a valid driver's license of any type;
(2) is enrolled in a commercial motor vehicle training course approved by the bureau; and
(3) is operating a commercial motor vehicle under the direct supervision of a licensed commercial motor vehicle driver.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.125-2012, SEC.164.
Sec. 7. (a) Sections 1 through 5 of this chapter do not apply to the following individuals:
(1) An individual in the service of the armed forces of the United States while operating an official motor vehicle in that service.
(2) An individual while operating:
(A) a road roller;
display a license to a law enforcement officer in connection
with the operation of a locomotive or a train in Indiana.
(b) An ordinance adopted under IC 9-21-1-3(a)(14) or IC 9-21-1-3.3(a) must require that an individual who operates a golf cart in the city, county, or town hold a driver's license.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.128-1993, SEC.1; P.L.210-2005, SEC.38; P.L.150-2009, SEC.18; P.L.87-2010, SEC.29; P.L.60-2012, SEC.3; P.L.125-2012, SEC.165.
Sec. 8. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.
(b) A person who violates section 6 of this chapter commits a Class C misdemeanor.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12.