Special identification number
Sec. 0.5. As used in this chapter, "special identification number" means a distinguishing number assigned by the bureau to a privately assembled motor vehicle, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle.
As added by P.L.268-2003, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.125-2012, SEC.86.
Assembly of vehicle by owner; procedure
Sec. 1. If a motor vehicle, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle has been built, constructed, or assembled by the person who owns the motor vehicle, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle, the person shall:
(1) indicate on a form provided by the bureau the major component parts that have been used to assemble the motor vehicle, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle;
(2) make application through the bureau for a special identification number for the motor vehicle, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle;
(3) after receipt of the special identification number described in subdivision (2), stamp or attach the special identification number received from the bureau in the manner provided in section 2(3) of this chapter; and
(4) apply for a certificate of title for the motor vehicle, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle from the bureau.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.5. Amended by P.L.268-2003, SEC.12; P.L.125-2012, SEC.87.
(Repealed by P.L.125-2012, SEC.89.)
Certificate of title; description of identification of vehicle; statement of liens or encumbrances; notation of parts
Sec. 4. A certificate of title issued under this chapter must contain the following:
(1) A description and other evidence of identification of the motor vehicle, semitrailer, or recreational vehicle as required by the bureau.
(2) A statement of any liens or encumbrances that the application shows to be on the certificate of title.
(3) The appropriate notation prominently recorded on the front of the title as follows:
(A) For a vehicle assembled using all new vehicle parts, excluding the vehicle frame, "RECONSTRUCTED VEHICLE".
(B) For a vehicle assembled using used parts, "REBUILT VEHICLE".
(C) For a vehicle assembled using a salvage vehicle or parts, "REBUILT SALVAGE".
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.5. Amended by P.L.268-2003, SEC.14; P.L.125-2012, SEC.90.
Body change title; requirements
Sec. 4.5. (a) A person must obtain a body change title whenever a vehicle is altered so that the alteration changes the type of the vehicle, as noted on the:
(1) current title; or
(Repealed by P.L.268-2003, SEC.33.)
Violation of chapter; Class C infraction; Class C felony
Sec. 6. (a) Except as provided under subsection (b), a person who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.
(b) A person who knowingly damages, removes, covers, or alters an identification number commits a Class C felony.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.5. Amended by P.L.268-2003, SEC.15.