School placed in lowest category or designation the first year
Sec. 2. (a) This section applies the first year that a school is placed in the lowest category or designation of school improvement.
(b) The state board shall place the school and the school corporation on notice that the school is in the lowest category or designation of school improvement. Upon receiving the notice, the governing body shall:
(1) issue a public notice of the school's lack of improvement; and
(2) hold a public hearing in which public testimony is received concerning the lack of improvement.
(c) The committee shall revise the school's plan. A revision under this subsection may include any of the following:
(1) Shifting resources.
(2) Changing personnel.
(3) Requesting the state board to appoint an outside team to manage the school or assist in the development of a new plan.
(d) If the governing body approves a request for the state board to appoint an outside team under subsection (c)(3), the school is considered to be placed under section 3 of this chapter.
As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.15.
School in lowest category in third year; establishment of expert team; restructuring plan
Sec. 3. (a) This section applies if, in the third year after initial placement in the lowest category or designation, a school still remains in the lowest category or designation.
(b) The state board shall establish and assign an expert team to the school. The expert team:
(1) must include representatives from the community or region that the school serves; and
(2) may include:
(A) school superintendents, members of governing bodies, and teachers from school corporations that are in high categories or designations; and
(B) special consultants or advisers.
(c) The expert team shall:
(1) assist the school in revising the school's plan; and
School in lowest category in fifth year; hearing; establishment as turnaround academy
Sec. 4. (a) This section applies if, in the fifth year after initial placement in the lowest category or designation, a school still remains in the lowest category or designation.
(b) The state board shall do the following:
(1) Hold at least one (1) public hearing in the school corporation where the school is located to consider and hear testimony concerning the following options for school improvement:
(A) Merging the school with a nearby school that is in a higher category.
(B) Assigning a special management team to operate all or part of the school.
(C) The department's recommendations for improving the school.
(D) Other options for school improvement expressed at the public hearing. including closing the school.
(E) Revising the school's plan in any of the following areas:
(i) Changes in school procedures or operations.
(ii) Professional development.
(iii) Intervention for individual teachers or administrators.
(2) If the state board determines that intervention will improve the school, implement at least one (1) of the options listed in subdivision (1).
(c) Unless the school is closed or merged, a school that is subject to improvement under this section becomes a turnaround academy under IC 20-31-9.5.
As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.15. Amended by P.L.229-2011, SEC.189.