Chapter 5. Fee for Class II Wells
Amount of annual fee
Sec. 1. (a) This section does not apply to a noncommercial gas
well drilled on real estate owned by a resident of Indiana if:
(1) the deputy director has waived the bond described in
(2) the owner submits written proof of financial responsibility;
(3) the owner submits on a division form an agreement to
maintain and abandon the well in accordance with IC 14-37.
The deputy director may require the agreement described in
subdivision (3) to be recorded.
(b) An oil and gas well owner or operator must pay an annual fee
that is based on the number of wells for oil and gas purposes for
which the person has permits as of November 1 of each year. The
total fees required are as follows:
(1) For one (1) permit, one hundred fifty dollars ($150).
(2) For two (2) through five (5) permits, three hundred dollars
(3) For six (6) through twenty-five (25) permits, seven hundred
fifty dollars ($750).
(4) For twenty-six (26) through one hundred (100) permits, one
thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500).
(5) For more than one hundred (100) permits, one thousand five
hundred dollars ($1,500) plus fifteen dollars ($15) for each
permit over one hundred (100).
(c) The annual fee required by subsection (b):
(1) applies to each well for oil and gas purposes in existence on
November 1 of each year; and
(2) must be paid to the department not later than February 1 of
the following year.
(d) The department shall deposit the fees collected under this
section into the oil and gas environmental fund established by
As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.30. Amended by P.L.48-2002, SEC.2.
Amount of annual fee; exception
Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding section 1(b) of this chapter, if the
amount in the oil and gas environmental fund established by
IC 14-37-10-2 is more than one million five hundred thousand dollars
($1,500,000) on November 1 of a year, the annual fee required by
section 1 of this chapter must be reduced by seventy-five percent
(75%). However, the department shall charge a fee of at least fifty
(b) The fee required under subsection (a) remains in effect until
the amount in the oil and gas environmental fund is less than one
million dollars ($1,000,000) on November 1 of a year.
As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.30. Amended by P.L.48-2002, SEC.3.