STATE OF INDIANA
FOR: ESTABLISHING THE GOVERNOR'S MANAGEMENT AND PERFORMANCE HUB
TO ALL WHOM THESE PRESENTS MAY COME, GREETINGS.
WHEREAS, Hoosiers can benefit from a comprehensive and coordinated effort by state agencies to share data and improve and strengthen services, maximize the utilization of available resources, and ensure that state services are available to all Hoosiers;
WHEREAS, the Indiana Office of Technology (IOT), established under Ind. Code § 4-13.1-2-1, stores data and has the responsibility to ensure the protection of data in compliance with all applicable laws;
WHEREAS, state agencies, as defined at Ind. Code § 4-12-1-2(d), administer Indiana taxpayer and federal funds in the name of and on behalf of the State of Indiana; operate on property or in buildings owned, maintained, or leased by the State of Indiana; use vehicles and equipment owned by the State of Indiana; manage and provide benefits to state employees; enter into contracts on behalf of the State of Indiana; and spend, use, and commit other resources and assets owned by the State of Indiana;
WHEREAS, centralized data sharing, correlation, and analysis capacity will enable the state to achieve efficiencies in the administration of state programs and services and to more effectively address public health, public safety, and quality of life issues;
WHEREAS, with any data collection or use of data, state government must protect individual privacy, transparency of government operations, and public safety;
WHEREAS, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), established under Ind. Code § 4-3-22-3, has been given the statutory authority under Ind. Code § 4-3-22-1 to devote adequate resources to:
(1) Gather and coordinate data in a timely manner.
(2) Perform comprehensive and detailed budgeting analysis.
(3) Put in place comprehensive and effective budgeting practices.
(4) Coordinate all functions related to budgeting and controlling spending in state government.
(5) Perform comprehensive and detailed financial analysis.
(6) Perform comprehensive financial oversight.
(7) Ensure that effective financial management policies are implemented throughout state government.
(8) Perform comprehensive and detailed performance analysis.
(9) Ascertain whether the burdens imposed by laws and rules are justified by their benefits using a rigorous cost benefit analysis.
(10) Measure the performance of government activities;
WHEREAS, Ind. Code § 4-3-22-15 provides that "all state agencies (as defined in Ind. Code § 4-12-1-2) shall, in addition to complying with all statutory duties applicable to state purchasing, be accountable to the OMB for adherence to policies, procedures, and spending controls established by the OMB and approved by the governor.";
WHEREAS, the OMB is exercising this statutory responsibility through the creation of the Governor's Management and Performance Hub (MPH).
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael R. Pence, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Indiana, do hereby order that:
1. The OMB shall create MPH as a tool for continuous process improvement for the State of Indiana.
2. IOT shall as directed by OMB work with the agencies with respect to the MPH's data needs and technical requirements to IOT.
3. The OMB shall provide recommendations to the Governor on:
a. Opportunities to use data collected by state agencies to drive innovation and efficiency across state agencies;
b. Improvements to information technology systems, practices, and procedures to enhance the security of data retained by state agencies; and
c. Opportunities to increase the transparency of state government.
4. The OMB and IOT shall collaborate with private and public sector industry experts to ensure the MPH utilizes best practices in data analytics and security.
5. All state agencies, as defined in Ind. Code § 4-12-1-2(d), shall participate in the MPH by providing data, information, system access, or other resources to IOT and OMB upon request.
6. To the extent data requested by OMB or IOT is maintained as confidential under state or federal law, all agencies shall identify the data as confidential. If the transmission of the data to OMB or IOT is specifically prohibited by state or federal law, agencies shall work with the OMB to identify if any edits, deletions or additional protections can be made to comply with state and federal laws allowing data to be provided to the OMB. Agencies shall provide the data to the OMB with plans and procedures for ensuring data shared with the OMB continues to be protected in accordance with such laws. Agencies shall coordinate with the OMB in the development of data-sharing agreements and shall execute such agreements to facilitate the OMB's receipt and the use of any sensitive data.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I, Michael R. Pence, have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Indiana on this seventeenth day of March 2014.
Michael R. Pence
Governor of Indiana
Posted: 05/14/2014 by Legislative Services Agency
Composed: Apr 30,2017 10:31:53PM EDT
version of this document.