STATE OF INDIANA
FOR: ESTABLISHING THE CENTER FOR EDUCATION AND CAREER INNOVATION
TO ALL WHOM THESE PRESENTS MAY COME, GREETINGS.
WHEREAS, the intent of this Order is to create the Center for Education and Career Innovation to report directly to the Governor;
WHEREAS, the Governor has established these goals for the State of Indiana: improve math and reading skills of elementary students; increase non-waiver high school graduation rates; ensure that our students are prepared to enter science, technology, engineering and math careers that are producing high-demand, high-wage jobs across Indiana; and improve the quality of the Hoosier workforce;
WHEREAS, K-12, Higher Education and Workforce spending together currently represent 59% of the State's General Fund;
WHEREAS, the General Assembly has given the Governor the duty and responsibility to establish education and workforce policy by appointing Board members and state agency heads across education and workforce agencies, boards and commissions;
WHEREAS, Ind. Code § 20-19-2 established the State Board of Education and requires the Governor to appoint ten members of the State Board of Education;
WHEREAS, Ind. Code § 20-19-4 established the Indiana Education Roundtable and requires the Governor to jointly appoint the members of the Indiana Education Roundtable and to serve as its Co-Chair with the State Superintendent of Public Instruction;
WHEREAS, Ind. Code § 22-4.5-9 established the Indiana Career Council and requires the Governor to appoint four members representing manufacturing, labor, life sciences and the business community and serve as its Chair;
WHEREAS, Ind. Code § 20-19-6 established the Indiana Works Councils and allows the Governor to designate one or more distinct geographic regions throughout Indiana as the regions in which councils operate and requires the Governor to select and appoint the members of each council and promptly make an appointment to fill any vacancy on a council; and
WHEREAS, the Center for Education and Career Innovation will enable the State to align K-12, higher education and workforce development resources and programs to deliver the most impactful results for Indiana families, employers and taxpayers.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael R. Pence, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Indiana, do hereby order that:
1. The Center for Education and Career Innovation ("CECI") is hereby established as an agency reporting directly to the Office of the Governor.
2. The CECI will be responsible for aligning, amplifying, and advancing the work of Indiana's public, private, and nonprofit K-12, higher education and workforce entities and partners to ensure Indiana is "A State That Works".
3. The CECI fund is established. Funding and other resources of the Indiana State Board of Education, the Indiana Education Roundtable, the Indiana Career Council, and the Indiana Works Councils shall be transferred to the CECI fund, which can accept appropriations and transfers for the purpose of executing this order.
a. The fund shall be administered by the CECI.
b. The fund shall be non-reverting.
c. The fund may receive federal grants, where deemed eligible under federal guidelines.
4. The CECI may enter into Memorandums of Understanding with other state agencies in accordance with the requirements established in state law and by the State Budget Agency and the Indiana Department of Administration.
5. The CECI may enter into contracts and grant agreements with third-parties in accordance with the requirements established in state law and by the Attorney General and the Indiana Department of Administration.
6. The CECI shall have powers, duties and responsibilities as may be designated by the Governor consistent with the exercise of the executive authority under the Constitution and laws of the State.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I, Michael R. Pence, have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Indiana on this 23rd day of August 2013.
Michael R. Pence
Governor of Indiana
Posted: 08/28/2013 by Legislative Services Agency
Composed: May 22,2015 7:45:15PM EDT
version of this document.