STATE OF INDIANA
FOR: ESTABLISHING THE OFFICE OF SMALL BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
TO WHOM ALL THESE PRESENTS MAY COME, GREETINGS.
WHEREAS, the intent of this Order is to create the Office of Small Business and Entrepreneurship within the Office of the Lieutenant Governor;
WHEREAS, encouraging the organization and development of new business enterprises contributes to the strengthening of the Indiana economy;
WHEREAS, small businesses in Indiana are important elements to Indiana's economy and in job creation;
WHEREAS, the Indiana Small Business Development Center, which was established to administer a program of the U.S. Small Business Administration to support and grow the development of small businesses in Indiana, exists within the Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC);
WHEREAS, the Small Business Ombudsman within the IEDC provides services on behalf of small businesses in Indiana;
WHEREAS, there is an opportunity to align the State's efforts for small businesses by:
1. disseminating small business licensing, programmatic, and disaster recovery information;
2. improving the efficiency of state government's small business service processes;
3. offering business consulting to entrepreneurs;
4. providing entrepreneurship-focused specialty programs and small business recognition events; and
5. linking university, government, and private sector entrepreneurship outreach programs;
WHEREAS, establishing the Office of Small Business and Entrepreneurship within the Office of the Lieutenant Governor will further strengthen the coordination of small business support activities throughout the State; and
WHEREAS, it is appropriate and necessary to give immediate effect to actions designed to address the needs and implement the reforms described in this Executive Order for these reasons.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael R. Pence, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Indiana, do hereby order that:
1. The Office of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (OSBE) is established as a distinct office within the Office of the Lieutenant Governor.
2. The OSBE shall provide assistance to the Indiana Small Business Development Center and shall assist the IEDC with the Small Business Ombudsman function.
3. The Lieutenant Governor shall appoint a Director of the OSBE, who shall serve at the pleasure of the Lieutenant Governor.
4. To the fullest extent possible, the OSBE shall support the development of small business in Indiana through the Indiana Small Business Development Center and develop and administer other programs that support and grow small businesses.
5. Personnel associated with the Indiana Small Business Development Center may assist with projects and initiatives of the OSBE. The Indiana Small Business Development Center will continue to operate in conformance with its originating federal statute, all federal regulations governing it, and the Cooperative Agreement with the Small Business Administration.
6. The OSBE shall have other powers, duties, and responsibilities as may be designated by the Governor and/or Lieutenant Governor consistent with the exercise of the executive authority under the Constitution and laws of the State.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I, Michael R. Pence, have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Indiana on this 27th day of June 2013.
Michael R. Pence
Governor of Indiana
Posted: 07/10/2013 by Legislative Services Agency
Composed: Jan 20,2017 7:05:17AM EST
version of this document.