TITLE 410 INDIANA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
LSA Document #12-616
Amends 410 IAC 6-10.1-94
to add that the department may approve a method to break up compaction if compacted soil material is identified in the soil at a depth greater than 12 inches. Effective 30 days after filing with the Publisher.
410 IAC 6-10.1-94 Elevated sand mound on-site sewage systems: preparation of the site
Authority: IC 16-19-3-4
; IC 16-19-3-5
Sec. 94. (a) For all elevated sand mound sites, the following requirements shall be met for site preparation:
(1) Vegetation that would interfere with the soils evaluation, system layout, or system construction shall be cut and removed (not scraped) prior to installation without causing compaction.
(2) Trees shall be cut off at the ground surface and removed, with only stumps left in place. The department may require scarring of the tree stumps.
(3) Tree roots that protrude above the tilled surface shall be cut off and removed without causing compacted soil material.
(4) The portion of the elevated sand mound site receiving INDOT Specification 23 sand shall be tilled along the contour of the site to a depth of seven (7) inches to fourteen (14) inches with a moldboard or chisel plow, or a bulldozer with a ripper. A backhoe may be used to till sites with special considerations as noted in subsection (b). The department or local health department may require field supervision of tilling operations. The following requirements apply:
(A) If a chisel plow or a bulldozer with a ripper is used, tillage shall be across the site along the contour of the site.
(B) If a moldboard plow is used:
(i) it shall have at least two (2) bottoms and make only one (1) pass across the area, along the contour of the site; and
(ii) on sites with slopes greater than one-half percent (1/2%), the furrows shall be turned upslope.
(b) For wooded sites, and sites that limit the use of larger equipment, a backhoe may be used to till the site if the following requirements are met:
(1) The use of a backhoe shall be approved, in writing, by the department or local health department.
(2) Tilling shall be performed along the contour of the site.
(3) The surface of the ground shall be tilled with the chisel teeth fitted onto the backhoe bucket.
(4) The backhoe shall remain on untilled soil.
(5) If a moldboard plow, chisel plow, or bulldozer with a ripper is used to till the site, the provisions of subsection (a)(4) must be utilized.
(c) If compacted soil material is identified in the soil from the surface to a depth of twelve (12) inches, tilling of the soil shall be to a depth of at least two (2) inches below the bottom of the compacted soil material. If compacted soil material is identified in the soil at a depth greater than twelve (12) inches, the site is unsuitable for elevated sand mound construction, unless the compaction is broken up by a method approved by the department.
(Indiana State Department of Health; 410 IAC 6-10.1-94; filed Oct 19, 2012, 2:07 p.m.: 20121114-IR-410120157FRA)
Posted: 05/08/2013 by Legislative Services Agency
Composed: Jul 05,2015 11:06:03PM EDT
version of this document.