STATE OF INDIANA
FOR: CONTINUATION OF THE INDIANA STATE HISTORICAL RECORDS ADVISORY BOARD
TO ALL WHOM THESE PRESENTS MAY COME, GREETINGS.
WHEREAS, Congress established the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) in 1934 to preserve, publish and encourage the use of documentary sources relating to the history of the United States;
WHEREAS, NHPRC works collectively with State Historical Records Advisory Boards and provides grants nationwide to help identify, preserve and provide public access to records, photographs and other materials that document American history;
WHEREAS, Indiana's State Archives and historic records repositories hold the State's most treasured documents and history; and
WHEREAS, the continuation of the State Historical Records Advisory Board will allow Indiana to effectively coordinate its archival community and preserve these significant resources.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael R. Pence, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Indiana, do hereby order that:
1. The Indiana State Historical Records Advisory Board is continued.
2. The Board shall consist of at least seven members who shall be appointed by the Governor including the State Historical Records Coordinator to chair the Board.
a. The State Archivist shall be designated as the State Coordinator and chair of the Board.
b. A majority of the members shall have recognized experience in the administration of government records, historical records, or archives.
c. Two members shall be appointed for a term of one year, two members for a term of two years, and at least two members for a term of three years. Each successor shall serve a term of three years with the possibility of reappointment. Any vacancy occurring in the membership of the board for any cause shall be filled by appointment by the Governor for the unexpired term.
3. The Board shall meet at least quarterly or at the call of the Chairman. A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of voting members.
4. The Board will serve as the central advisory body for historical records planning and for NHPRC- funded projects developed and carried out within Indiana. The Board may perform such duties as:
a. Develop and submit to NHPRC state priorities for historical records programs as part of a state plan.
b. Solicit or develop proposals for NHPRC grant projects.
c. Review proposals by institutions in the State and make recommendations about these to NHPRC.
d. Work to preserve Indiana's documentary heritage.
e. Promote practices that ensure preservation of and access to the State's public and private records.
f. Encourage adherence to archival and records management principles through meetings and workshops.
g. Survey repositories, support the State's records management program, and promote the sharing of collection information.
h. Encourage the professional development of archivists, curators, volunteers, and others dedicated to the task of caring for Indiana's documentary heritage.
5. All members of the Board shall serve without salary or per diem, except that members of the Board shall be reimbursed in accordance with state law and the policies of the Department of Administration and the State Budget Agency for actual expenses incurred in carrying out their responsibilities as members of the Board.
6. The Board shall issue a report on its work to the Governor on an annual basis. The reports of the Board shall be a public record.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I, Michael R. Pence, have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Indiana on this 14th day of January 2013.
Michael R. Pence
Governor of Indiana
Posted: 02/06/2013 by Legislative Services Agency
Composed: Sep 02,2014 3:41:07PM EDT
version of this document.