STATE OF INDIANA
FOR: CREATION OF THE INDIANA OFFICE OF ENERGY DEVELOPMENT
TO ALL WHOM THESE PRESENTS MAY COME, GREETINGS.
WHEREAS, there exists within the Office of the Indiana Lieutenant Governor the Indiana Office of Energy and Defense Development (OEDD), which was established to shepherd the state's energy plan;
WHEREAS, today, the Energy Division within OEDD primarily administers federal grant funding for energy projects;
WHEREAS, as one of the most manufacturing-intense economies in the United States, Indiana needs low-cost energy to remain economically competitive;
WHEREAS, Indiana needs a strong, comprehensive, coordinated energy plan to support a strong, dynamic, growing economy;
WHEREAS, there exists within multiple state agencies and offices various energy-related functions and programs that are administered in a decentralized manner;
WHEREAS, the State's energy policy must be coordinated with executive agencies such as the Indiana Department of Environmental Management and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources;
WHEREAS, establishing the Office of Energy Development within the Governor's Office will strengthen coordination of energy policy with executive agencies and centralize energy-related functions and programs to support a strong, comprehensive, coordinated energy plan for Indiana; and
WHEREAS, it is appropriate and necessary to give immediate effect to actions designed to address the needs and implement the reforms described in this Executive Order.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael R. Pence, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Indiana, do hereby order that:
1. The Energy Division of the OEDD is hereby separated from the Indiana Office of Energy and Defense Development.
2. The Office of Energy Development (OED) is established as a distinct executive office within the Office of the Governor.
3. The Office of Energy and Defense Development shall cease to exist.
4. The remaining Office of Defense Development (ODD) shall remain within the Office of the Lieutenant Governor focused on the growth of the state's defense assets and industries.
5. A Director of the OED, who shall serve at the pleasure of the Governor, shall be appointed by the Governor and shall be the Chief Energy Officer of the State.
6. To the fullest extent permitted by law, the OED shall:
a. develop and implement a comprehensive energy plan for the state that utilizes all of Indiana's energy resources;
b. administer all energy-related programs, including grant programs designed to incentivize investment in energy technologies;
c. conduct and support research to support the development of all of Indiana's energy resources; and
d. coordinate with Indiana's research institutions to commercialize new energy technologies.
7. Personnel associated with the following programs are hereby reassigned to the OED:
a. Center for Coal Technology Research
b. Biofuels programs within the Indiana Department of Agriculture
c. Home energy assistance and weatherization programs within the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority.
8. The OED shall have such other powers, duties, and responsibilities as may be designated from time to time by the Governor consistent with the exercise of executive authority under the Constitution and laws of the State.
9. This Executive Order shall expire at such time as the General Assembly enacts legislation to codify the OED.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I, Michael R. Pence, have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Indiana on this 14th day of January 2013.
Michael R. Pence
Governor of Indiana
Posted: 02/06/2013 by Legislative Services Agency
Composed: Jan 21,2018 4:06:46AM EST
version of this document.