STATE OF INDIANA
FOR: DIRECTIVE TO NAME AN AGENCY ETHICS OFFICER AND TO HOLD AN ANNUAL LEGAL AND ETHICS CONFERENCE
TO ALL WHOM THESE PRESENTS MAY COME, GREETINGS.
WHEREAS, Hoosiers deserve to know that government decisions are being made in the public interest, not because of gifts, political contributions, or undue influence;
WHEREAS, all Indiana state employees should meet the highest standards of ethical conduct to ensure they maintain the public trust and the utmost level of integrity in government service;
WHEREAS, the State of Indiana has established clear ethics laws in the Indiana Code and the Indiana Administrative Code;
WHEREAS, the State of Indiana has established an Office of Inspector General, who is responsible for addressing fraud, waste, abuse and wrongdoing in state agencies;
WHEREAS, along with investigating wrongdoing in state government, the Office of Inspector General is tasked with ensuring that all state employees are properly trained in the Code of Ethics; and
WHEREAS, consistent with its responsibilities, the Office of Inspector General has encouraged all state agencies to appoint an agency ethics officer and has held an annual Legal and Ethics Conference to provide additional ethics training to state employees.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael R. Pence, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Indiana, do hereby order that:
1. Each state agency, as defined in IC 4-2-6-1
(Ethics and Conflict of Interest), shall name an ethics officer to serve as an advisor to the agency's leader and advise employees on ethics matters.
2. Each state agency's ethics officer shall coordinate ethics training for all agency employees as required by the State Ethics Code and by the Office of the Inspector General.
3. Each state agency's ethics officer shall ensure that an agency's written ethics policies are on file with the Office of the Inspector General as required by 42 IAC 1-6-1
4. The Office of Inspector General shall hold an annual Legal and Ethics Conference to provide additional ethics training to state employees.
5. Each state agency shall support the annual Legal and Ethics Conference and participate in the Conference to the maximum extent possible.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I, Michael R. Pence, have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Indiana on this 14th day of January 2013.
Michael R. Pence
Governor of Indiana
Posted: 02/06/2013 by Legislative Services Agency
Composed: Jun 18,2013 11:00:10PM EDT
version of this document.