First Regular Session 116th General Assembly (2009)
PRINTING CODE. Amendments: Whenever an existing statute (or a section of the Indiana
Constitution) is being amended, the text of the existing provision will appear in this style type,
additions will appear in this style type
, and deletions will appear in
this style type.
Additions: Whenever a new statutory provision is being enacted (or a new constitutional
provision adopted), the text of the new provision will appear in this style type
. Also, the
will appear in that style type in the introductory clause of each SECTION that adds
a new provision to the Indiana Code or the Indiana Constitution.
Conflict reconciliation: Text in a statute in this style type
this style type
between statutes enacted by the 2008 Regular Session of the General Assembly.
HOUSE ENROLLED ACT No. 1581
AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning education.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:
SOURCE: IC 20-24-8-5; (09)HE1581.1.1. -->
SECTION 1. IC 20-24-8-5, AS AMENDED BY HEA 1462-2009,
SECTION 5, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE
JULY 1, 2009]: Sec. 5. The following statutes and rules and guidelines
adopted under the following statutes apply to a charter school:
(1) IC 5-11-1-9 (required audits by the state board of accounts).
(2) IC 20-39-1-1 (unified accounting system).
(3) IC 20-35 (special education).
(4) IC 20-26-5-10 (criminal history).
(5) IC 20-26-5-6 (subject to laws requiring regulation by state
(6) IC 20-28-7-14 (void teacher contract when two (2) contracts
(7) IC 20-28-10-12 (nondiscrimination for teacher marital status).
(8) IC 20-28-10-14 (teacher freedom of association).
(9) IC 20-28-10-17 (school counselor immunity).
(10) For conversion charter schools only, IC 20-28-6, IC 20-28-7,
IC 20-28-8, IC 20-28-9, and IC 20-28-10.
(11) IC 20-33-2 (compulsory school attendance).
(12) IC 20-33-3 (limitations on employment of children).
(13) IC 20-33-8-19, IC 20-33-8-21, and IC 20-33-8-22 (student
due process and judicial review).
(14) IC 20-33-8-16 (firearms and deadly weapons).
(15) IC 20-34-3 (health and safety measures).
(16) IC 20-33-9 (reporting of student violations of law).
(17) IC 20-30-3-2 and IC 20-30-3-4 (patriotic commemorative
(18) IC 20-31-3, IC 20-32-4, IC 20-32-5, IC 20-32-6, IC 20-32-8,
or any other statute, rule, or guideline related to standardized
testing (assessment programs, including remediation under the
(19) IC 20-33-7 (parental access to education records).
(20) IC 20-31 (accountability for school performance and
(21) IC 20-30-5-19 (personal financial responsibility
SOURCE: IC 20-30-5-19; (09)HE1581.1.2. -->
SECTION 2. IC 20-30-5-19 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE
AS A NEW
SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY
1, 2009]: Sec. 19. (a) Each school corporation, charter school, and
accredited nonpublic school shall include in its curriculum for all
students in grades 6 through 12 instruction concerning personal
(b) A school corporation, a charter school, and an accredited
nonpublic school may meet the requirements of subsection (a) by:
(1) integrating, within its curriculum, instruction; or
(2) conducting a seminar;
that is designed to foster overall personal financial responsibility.
(c) The state board shall adopt a curriculum that ensures
personal financial responsibility is taught:
(1) in a manner appropriate for each grade level; and
(2) as a separate subject or as units incorporated into
as determined by the state board.
HEA 1581 _ Concur
Graphic file number 0 named seal1001.pcx with height 58 p and width 72 p Left aligned