HOUSE BILL No. 1519
DIGEST OF INTRODUCED BILL
Citations Affected: IC 20-24-8-5; IC 20-30-5-19.
Synopsis: Financial responsibility curriculum. Requires public schools
(including charter schools) and accredited nonpublic schools to provide
instruction in personal financial responsibility to students in grades 9
Effective: July 1, 2007.
January 23, 2007, read first time and referred to Committee on Education.
First Regular Session 115th General Assembly (2007)
PRINTING CODE. Amendments: Whenever an existing statute (or a section of the Indiana
Constitution) is being amended, the text of the existing provision will appear in this style type,
additions will appear in this style type
, and deletions will appear in
this style type.
Additions: Whenever a new statutory provision is being enacted (or a new constitutional
provision adopted), the text of the new provision will appear in this style type
. Also, the
will appear in that style type in the introductory clause of each SECTION that adds
a new provision to the Indiana Code or the Indiana Constitution.
Conflict reconciliation: Text in a statute in this style type
this style type
between statutes enacted by the 2006 Regular Session of the General Assembly.
HOUSE BILL No. 1519
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:
SOURCE: IC 20-24-8-5; (07)IN1519.1.1. -->
SECTION 1. IC 20-24-8-5, AS AMENDED BY P.L.2-2006,
SECTION 111, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS
[EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2007]: Sec. 5. The following statutes and rules
and guidelines adopted under the following statutes apply to a charter
(1) IC 5-11-1-9 (required audits by the state board of accounts).
(2) IC 20-39-1-1 (unified accounting system).
(3) IC 20-35 (special education).
(4) IC 20-26-5-10 and IC 20-28-5-9 (criminal history).
(5) IC 20-26-5-6 (subject to laws requiring regulation by state
(6) IC 20-28-7-14 (void teacher contract when two (2) contracts
(7) IC 20-28-10-12 (nondiscrimination for teacher marital status).
(8) IC 20-28-10-14 (teacher freedom of association).
(9) IC 20-28-10-17 (school counselor immunity).
(10) For conversion charter schools only, IC 20-28-6, IC 20-28-7,
IC 20-28-8, IC 20-28-9, and IC 20-28-10.
(11) IC 20-33-2 (compulsory school attendance).
(12) IC 20-33-3 (limitations on employment of children).
(13) IC 20-33-8-19, IC 20-33-8-21, and IC 20-33-8-22 (student
due process and judicial review).
(14) IC 20-33-8-16 (firearms and deadly weapons).
(15) IC 20-34-3 (health and safety measures).
(16) IC 20-33-9 (reporting of student violations of law).
(17) IC 20-30-3-2 and IC 20-30-3-4 (patriotic commemorative
(18) IC 20-31-3, IC 20-32-4, IC 20-32-5, IC 20-32-6, IC 20-32-8,
or any other statute, rule, or guideline related to standardized
testing (assessment programs, including remediation under the
(19) IC 20-33-7 (parental access to education records).
(20) IC 20-31 (accountability for school performance and
(21) IC 20-30-5-19 (personal financial responsibility
SOURCE: IC 20-30-5-19; (07)IN1519.1.2. -->
SECTION 2. IC 20-30-5-19 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE
AS A NEW
SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY
1, 2007]: Sec. 19. (a) Each school corporation (including each
charter school) and each nonpublic school that voluntarily has
become accredited under IC 20-19-2-8 shall include in its
curriculum for all students in grades 9 through 12 instruction
concerning personal financial responsibility.
(b) A school corporation (including a charter school) and a
nonpublic school that voluntarily has become accredited under
IC 20-19-2-8 may meet the requirements of subsection (a) by:
(1) integrating, within its curriculum, instruction; or
(2) conducting a seminar;
that is designed to foster overall personal financial responsibility.
(c) A person may not receive a high school diploma from a
school subject to this section unless the person has received the
instruction in personal financial responsibility required by this
(d) The department shall develop guidelines and the state board
shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to assist teachers assigned to
provide the instruction required by this section.