Amendments: Whenever an existing statute (or a section of the Indiana Constitution) is
being amended, the text of the existing provision will appear in this style type, additions
will appear in this style type, and deletions will appear in
this style type.
Additions: Whenever a new statutory provision is being enacted (or a new constitutional provision adopted), the text of the new provision will appear in this style type. Also, the word NEW will appear in that style type in the introductory clause of each SECTION that adds a new provision to the Indiana Code or the Indiana Constitution.
Conflict reconciliation: Text in a statute in this style type or
this style type reconciles
conflicts between statutes enacted by the 2004 Regular Session of the General Assembly.
AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning the arts.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of
SECTION 1. IC 1-2-12 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA
CODE AS A NEW CHAPTER TO READ AS FOLLOWS
[EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2005]:
Chapter 12. State Poet Laureate
Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "commission" refers to the Indiana arts commission established by IC 4-23-2-1.
Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "selection committee" refers to the committee described in section 4 of this chapter.
Sec. 3. The poet laureate of Indiana shall be selected under this chapter.
Sec. 4. (a) The selection committee consists of the following eight (8) members:
(1) Seven (7) members selected by the commission who represent state supported and private institutions of higher education.
(2) The executive director of the commission.
(b) The president of each of the institutions selected under subsection (a)(1) shall name a faculty member to serve on the selection committee. The faculty member must:
(1) be a member of the fine arts or English department of the institution; and
(2) teach writing.
(c) The executive director of the commission:
(1) is the chair of; and
(2) shall establish the meeting times and dates for;
the selection committee.
Sec. 5. The selection committee shall do the following:
(1) Meet on a biennial basis to select the poet laureate.
(2) Determine a method of selecting the poet laureate.
(3) Select a poet laureate not later than December 1 of each odd-numbered year.
(4) Permit a person to be selected as poet laureate even if the person has previously served as poet laureate.
Sec. 6. A person selected as poet laureate serves a two (2) year term that begins January 1 following the poet laureate's selection.
Sec. 7. (a) The poet laureate shall do the following:
(1) Make a formal appearance at schools, libraries, and other educational facilities.
(2) Offer advice to the commission concerning ways to further the art of poetry in Indiana.
(3) Represent Indiana and the art of poetry to the education community and the public.
(b) The department of education shall assist the poet laureate in scheduling the poet laureate's appearances in educational facilities and at other appropriate events.
Sec. 8. (a) The commission may pay an annual honorarium of two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) to the poet laureate.
(b) The commission may pay a per diem to the poet
laureate for each day that the poet laureate makes an
appearance under this chapter.
(c) The commission may pay travel expenses to a member of the selection committee unless the member's institution reimburses the member for the expenses.
Sec. 9. All expenses and other payments permitted under this chapter shall be paid from appropriations to or other funds of the commission.
SECTION 2. [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2005] (a) The person honored as poet laureate of Indiana by the house of representatives in House Resolution 73-2002 is entitled to serve as the initial poet laureate of Indiana under IC 1-2-12, as added by this act, until December 31, 2005.
(b) This SECTION expires January 1, 2006.