Courts in the Classroom
Supreme Court of Indiana
Division of State Court Administration
30 S. Meridian Street, Ste 500
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Dr. Elizabeth R. Osborn
Court History and
Public Education Programs
History Project Award
from the National Council
on Public History
Justice Levine was born March 25, 1897, in Michigan City, Indiana, and died April 5, 1963, in LaPorte, Indiana.
He attended the University of Michigan and received an A.B. in 1920 and a J.D. in 1921. He was admitted to the Indiana bar in 1919 and opened a general law practice in LaPorte. In January 1955, he was appointed by Governor George S. Craig to the Indiana Supreme Court to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Justice Floyd S. Draper.388 Justice Levine had never before held public office. He was appointed amid speculation that he would hold the office briefly and then resign with Senator Frederick Landis, Jr. as a possible replacement.389 In March 1955, newspaper reports continued the speculation that Levine would quit in favor of Landis.390 On April 14, 1955, Governor Craig announced the imminent resignation of Justices Levine and George Henley (another 1955 appointee).391 Governor Craig defended the temporary appointment by pointing out that the $13,000 salary level made it difficult to convince attorneys to give up private law practice.392 As was the case with Justice Henley, Levine's brief "service" was quickly forgotten. In the next judicial elections, held in 1956, newspaper reports indicated that Governor Craig appointed Justices Arterburn and Landis to replace Justices Gilkison and Draper thus overlooking the abbreviated terms of Justices Henley and Levine.393
388. WILLIAM M. HEPBURN, WHO'S WHO IN INDIANA 133 (1957).
389. Edward Ziegner, Levine Hinted Giving Up New Judgeship Soon, INDIANAPOLIS NEWS, Jan. 18, 1955, at 1.
390. Attorneys View for Brief Tenure on Bench of Supreme Court, INDIANAPOLIS STAR, Mar. 17, 1955, at 1.
391. Craig Names Two State Supreme Court Judges, INDIANAPOLIS STAR, Apr. 14, 1955, at 1.
392. Top Lawyers Shun High Court, INDIANAPOLIS TIMES, May 20, 1955, at 1.
393. Three Indiana Supreme Court Judges Announce for Renomination, INDIANAPOLIS STAR, Jan. 27, 1956, at 19.
Source: Browning, Minde C., Richard Humphrey, and Bruce Kleinschmidt. "Biographical Sketches of Indiana Supreme Court Justices." Indiana Law Review: Vol. 30, No. 1, 1997. View this source in PDF format.