Courts in the Classroom
Supreme Court of Indiana
Division of State Court Administration
30 S. Meridian Street, Ste 500
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Dr. Elizabeth R. Osborn
Court History and
Public Education Programs
2011 Outstanding Public
History Project Award
from the National Council
on Public History
Justice Achor was born November 16, 1907, in Coffeeville, Kansas, and died February 5, 1967, in Anderson, Indiana.1
He completed public school in Atwood, Indiana, and continued his education at Indiana Central College, from which he graduated in 1928.2 He earned a law degree at Indiana University in 1931.3
Justice Achor began the practice of law in 1931, as a member of the firm of Achor & Peck in Anderson, Indiana.4 He continued in private practice until 1942, when he was elected Madison Superior Court Judge, where he served two terms.5 " In 1950, he was elected to the Indiana Appellate Court for a four-year term."6 He left his Indiana appellate court seat in 1955 to serve on the Indiana Supreme Court.7 Due to poor health, he resigned from the Indiana Supreme Court in 1966.8
In addition to his legal career, Justice Achor also taught speech and political science at Anderson College from 1932 to 1937.9 He was also a member of the Board of Governors of the Associated Colleges of Indiana and served on the Board of Trustees of Anderson College.10
1. Obituaries, RES GESTAE, Feb. 1967, at 22, 22.
2. Former Supreme Court Justice H.E. Achor Dies, INDIANAPOLIS STAR, Feb. 6, 1967, at 11, reprinted in 66 INDIANA BIOGRAPHY SERIES 104 (Indiana State Library).
3. Obituaries, supra note 1, at 22; Russell W. Smith & Charles W. Cook, In Memoriam, 246 INDIANA REPORTS xlvii, xlvii (1968) [hereinafter Achor Memoriam].
4. 66 INDIANA BIOGRAPHY SERIES, supra note 2, at 104.
5. Obituaries, supra note 1, at 22; Achor Memoriam, supra note 3, at xlvii.
6. Obituaries, supra note 1, at 22.
7. 66 INDIANA BIOGRAPHY SERIES, supra note 2, at 104.
8. Achor Memoriam, supra note 3, at xlvii.
9. Obituaries, supra note 1, at 22.
10. Achor Memoriam, supra note 3, at xlvii.
Source: Browning, Minde C., Richard Humphrey, and Bruce Kleinschmidt. "Biographical Sketches of Indiana Supreme Court Justices." Indiana Law Review: Vol. 30, No. 1, 1997. View this source in PDF format.