INSTRUCTION TO APPLICANTS FOR ADMISSION ON FOREIGN LICENSE
Answers may be typed or printed clearly in black ink.
- Give specific answers to each part of all questions. Do not leave any spaces blank. If the question is not applicable or not available, so state in the appropriate blank. Please do not use “n/a”.
- When using additional sheets to supplement answers, give the information in the same manner as called for in the application.
Documents to be filed with the State Board of Law Examiners
The following documents are available in PDF format ONLY. To view and print online, simply click each hyperlink to open each document. To save a document to your hard drive for offline viewing, right-click each hyperlink and select 'Save Target As.'
FINAL CHECK LIST – Foreign License
- Application (Standard NCBE form) - Original plus one (1) copy.
Note: This document is titled “Standard NCBE Character and Fitness Electronic Application” and is made available by a link to the National Conference of Bar Examiners website.
- Authorization and Release Form - Three (3) originals. All three forms must be signed and notarized with Notary Seal.
Note: Indiana Notary must show date commission expires and county of residence.
- Affidavit in Support of Application for Admission on Foreign License - This form is to be signed and notarized.
- Motion for Admission - It is to be executed by a member of the Indiana Bar. The Indiana attorney is the Movant and he/she is to fill in the county of admission. The rest is referring to the Applicant – his/her current address. Complete the motion and leave the lower portion blank.
- Statement of Required Practice
- Certified check, cashiers check or money order (personal checks are not acceptable).
- One check for $500.00 payable to the State Board of Law Examiners.
- One check for $375.00 payable to the National Conference.
- Miscellaneous Information. We will submit a copy of your application to the National Conference of Bar Examiners for investigation and report. The report takes several months to process depending upon how quickly your references and others named in the application respond to the NCBE’s inquiry. Allow approximately six (6) months for the processing of your application. Give complete and correct dates on your application to avoid delay. Advise the Board of Law Examiners and the National Conference immediately of any name or address change.
Original Application and One (1) copy.
Three (3) Original Authorization and Release Forms
Statement of Required Practice
Written Statement demonstrating how you intend to engage in the active practice of law predominately
Affidavit in Support of Application
$500 Certified check, money order, or cashiers check to the Board of Law Examiners
$375 Certified check, money order, or cashiers check to the National Conference
Mail to: Indiana State Board of Law Examiners
30 South Meridian Street, Suite 875
Indianapolis, IN 46204
A provisional license may continue for one year and may be renewed. An affidavit stating that the applicant has actively engaged in the practice of law predominantly in Indiana shall be filed each year with the required $50 renewal fee. Upon the fifth renewal the provisional license shall become permanent. On September 1st of each year the Board of Law Examiners will send renewal forms and instructions for renewal to attorneys having provisional licenses.