Information for the Press
Where to file...
Clerk of the Appellate Courts
200 W. Washington St.
216 State House
Indianapolis, IN 46204
William I. Garrard was appointed to the Court of Appeals of Indiana on January 24, 1974 and was retained by election in 1976, 1986 and 1996.
Judge Garrard grew up in Frankfort, Indiana, where he became an Eagle Scout. He served as an enlisted man in the United States Army from 1954 to 1956. He received an A.B. degree from Wabash College in 1954. He received his J.D. with honors from Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, in 1959 and was elected to the Order of Coif. In 1990 he was the first Indiana judge to earn an LL.M. in Judicial Process from the University of Virginia.
Following law school, Judge Garrard moved to Warsaw, Indiana, where he engaged in the general practice of law for fifteen years with the firm originally known as Graham, Rasor, Eschbach and Harris. During this time he served as deputy prosecuting attorney from 1959 to 1969.
During his service on the Court of Appeals, Judge Garrard served on the Supreme Court’s Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure, serving one year as vice chairman. From 1976 to 1986 he taught as an adjunct professor at the Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington. He also served as a presenter at meetings of the Indiana State Bar Association, and served as a director and president of his law school alumni board. He was awarded the David Peck Medal by Wabash College, and was elected to the Academy of Law Alumni Fellows by Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington. He is, also, a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
He was a member of the Kosciusko County Bar Association (President, 1964). He is a member of the Indiana State Bar Association (Parliamentarian, 1988; Secretary, 1992) and the American Bar Association.
He retired from the court on January 24, 2000, and began serving as a senior judge that same year.