Public Defender Commission
Since 1989, The Indiana Public Defender Commission has served to recommend standards for indigent defense in capital cases, to adopt guidelines of salary and fee schedules for individual county reimbursement eligibility, and to review and approve requests for reimbursement in capital cases. In 1993, the responsibility of the Commission was expanded... More about the Commission »
NOTICE: The hourly rate for death penalty indigent defense is being raised to $120/hr and the Commission has raised hourly rates for assigned to $90/hr, both rates are effective January 1, 2017. Further, the Public Defender Commission is moving to a new address!
- Commission Standard H, Compensation for Assigned Counsel, has been amended by the Commission so that the rate for appointed counsel shall not be less than $90 per hour beginning January 1, 2017. This is the second raise by the Commission in 21 years.
- CR 24 requires the Executive Director of State Court Administration to update the capital (death penalty) hourly rate for indigent defense counsel every two years.The rate, effective January 1, 2017, will be $120/hr.
- The legislature, in HB 1322, authorized the Commission to hire its own staff instead of utilizing employees of State Court Administration effective July 1, 2016. The following will be the new physical and mailing address of the Indiana Public Defender Commission as of July 2016: 309 W Washington St, Floor 5, Indianapolis, IN 46204. Expect the new quarterly meeting locations, email addresses, phone numbers and more will be posted here until a new website is available.
2015-16 Quarterly Requests for Reimbursement due dates:
2nd Quarter 2016 due August 15, 2016
3rd Quarter 2016 due November 14, 2016
2016 Commission Meetings
- September 21, 2016 at 2 PM EST - A brief executive session may be held beginning at 2 PM pursuant to I.C. 5-14-1.5-6.1 (b)(9), followed by the regularly scheduled meeting.
- December 14, 2016 at 2 PM EST - A brief executive session may be held beginning at 2 PM pursuant to I.C. 5-14-1.5-6.1 (b)(9), followed by the regularly scheduled meeting.
Commission meetings are held at:
30 South Meridian Street, Room 804 (8th Floor)
Indianapolis, IN 46204